1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

can not tether via USB anymore

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    Cell phone Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300(SCHI535MBB) Carrier: Verizon Wireless. Can not share data (tether) w/ my laptop (Toshiba Satellite M645-S4070-Windows 7) via USB anymore. They stopped recognizing each other. I'm still able to charge it connecting to my laptop, but not share data (photos etc.). Any clue anyone? Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Same cable? Try a cable from a different Samsung phone; yours may have gone bad. (Samsung cables are about the cheapest-made I've ever seen, as far as quality goes. Most aftermarket clones are better. And a whole lot cheaper.)

Different cable? It could be a charging cable, which has no data wires. (That's what you get with some wireless headphones and devices like that, which don't transfer data to or from the computer.)

Try a different USB port on the laptop - the port may have gone bad.

Last (and most expensive) possibility - the port on the phone may have gone bad. (If you took the 4.3 update, it could be a bug in the update - everyone is getting different bugs.)

All that assumes that when you plug the phone into the laptop, the laptop doesn't recognize the phone. If you mean tethering to give the laptop internet access through the phone, unless you're paying for a tethering plan, that will no longer work with Verizon - they're blocking it.