1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root Can one remove motoblur with root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Trel, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I know that for example the Droid X has motoblur, and the bootloader hasn't been figured out yet, so you can't use custom roms. However, can root access allow someone to remove motoblur, or is that impossibe still?

Advertisement

2. ZXMustang

ZXMustang Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Earth
    No its not until you are able to install a custom ROM. Otherwise, you are stuck with it. I don't see anyone being able to install custom ROMs anytime soon because of the bootloader being locked. Motorola says deal with it.

3. egut125

egut125 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    If we can get to the same point as the milestone, we can atleast alter the rom thats already on there and hopefully be able to remove the blurs, and essentially have vanilla android which is all that I'm hoping for right now

4. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

You can remove it but the phone won't work anymore.

5. Dmordarski

Dmordarski Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Install a different launcher, you will have a close vanilla as possible right now

6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I installed launcherpro and it did the task valiantly. Close enough, I say.

7. amonfog

amonfog Member

Aug 17, 2010
    As described above;
    Removing (actualy deactivating) motoblur is possible without root acces...

Go to market and install an app called launcher pro (stay in market during install since your homescreen settings are modified)
    After install hit your home-button now you will be questioned wich homescreen app you would like to open (stockhome, motoblur or laucher pro) tab make default and then choose your prevered app. If your'e using stock home you can remove the launcher app (launcher pro is better but it's your choice ;)).

Plese post experiences

8. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    FYI, this does NOT deactivate Motoblur. All it does is run Launcher Pro on top of Motoblur.

You must remove all widgets from your desktop before installing Launcher Pro unless you want battery/performance problems because adding a home screen launcher simply puts an additional launcher over the top of the stock launcher.

9. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Install Home Switcher if you want to switch back and forth between Blur and LP.

BTW, the Plus version is even better than LP.

10. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    student
    Planet Earth