• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can only open mms pictures on wifi

A

Android Question

Our carrier is AT&T. My husband has a Samsung Galaxy S2, no data plan, wifi only. I have a Galaxy S3 with data. He cannot open MMS pictures from my texts unless he's on wifi. Is there a way to change them on my end so they aren't MMS, or does he need to do something to his phone?

Our carrier is AT&T. My husband has a Samsung Galaxy S2, no data plan, wifi only. I have a Galaxy S3 with data. He cannot open MMS pictures from my texts unless he's on wifi.
Since pictures are data, and he has no data plan, he can't download data unless he's on wifi. Whether it's a file, a web page or the picture you sent, it's the same to the phone - internet data. (Text, OTOH, is like voice.)

Is there a way to change them on my end so they aren't MMS
Not if they're pictures. The only thing he can get in his text app without a data plan and without using wifi is text.

or does he need to do something to his phone?
He needs to download the MMS files by wifi or upgrade to a data plan.

(Text is sent by the same path as voice calls. It's up to the phone to determine whether to send it out the earphone or to the text app. When you send an MMS, all you're sending in text is a link to a file stored on your provider's MMS server. Pressing that link is like pressing any other link - it's downloading a file. Which has to be done by wifi or by a data plan.)

I hope understanding why you can't do what you want makes it a little less frustrating that you can't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones