1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can only open mms pictures on wifi

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    Our carrier is AT&T. My husband has a Samsung Galaxy S2, no data plan, wifi only. I have a Galaxy S3 with data. He cannot open MMS pictures from my texts unless he's on wifi. Is there a way to change them on my end so they aren't MMS, or does he need to do something to his phone?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Since pictures are data, and he has no data plan, he can't download data unless he's on wifi. Whether it's a file, a web page or the picture you sent, it's the same to the phone - internet data. (Text, OTOH, is like voice.)

Not if they're pictures. The only thing he can get in his text app without a data plan and without using wifi is text.

He needs to download the MMS files by wifi or upgrade to a data plan.

(Text is sent by the same path as voice calls. It's up to the phone to determine whether to send it out the earphone or to the text app. When you send an MMS, all you're sending in text is a link to a file stored on your provider's MMS server. Pressing that link is like pressing any other link - it's downloading a file. Which has to be done by wifi or by a data plan.)

I hope understanding why you can't do what you want makes it a little less frustrating that you can't.