1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can Optimus V work without activating it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by busy4seconds, Sep 18, 2011.

1. busy4seconds

busy4seconds Newbie

Do you have to activate the Virgin Mobile Optimus V in order for all the functions to work or can you just forget about activating it and everything works fine? Obviously you will not be able to make calls and txt but will everything else work fine like app market and so on? And can you root the phone without activating it or is activation required for rooting? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

You can use it on WiFi for anything except texting and phone. With GrooveIP and google voice you can even make phone calls (quite possibly text too) as long as you have wifi.

3. androidfonefan

androidfonefan Well-Known Member

Correct. VOIP calls are possible on this phone without service. Not sure if activation is required. Some phones seem to be set up where many things are locked down until the phone is activated then GPS etc are unlocked, if your time expires these local services still work but the activation of the phone once, was required to get them going.

4. biggpat86

biggpat86 Well-Known Member

Wifi is all you need if you dont want Uncle Sam knowing where the hell you are at all times

5. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

I just made a tinfoil skin for my Optimus.

Annonymous7, Petrah and hiwatt like this.
  6. biggpat86

biggpat86 Well-Known Member

and dont brush your teeth with floride toothpaste. floride is detectable from space O_O dental records on hand

7. yogi-4

yogi-4 Android Enthusiast

Yeah I was surfing the net and the market before I could activate my phone.

8. weddle

weddle Android Enthusiast

I've used "heywire" from the market to text When I couldn't afford to pay my bill lol. As long as you have a wifi connection it can send texts, but it assigns you a number

9. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

I saw what you did there.

10. illmatic291

illmatic291 Newbie

good lord.. I KNEW IT!!

11. busy4seconds

busy4seconds Newbie

Ok thanks alot for the info. Is there a way of putting Flash 10.1 on the Optimus V?

12. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

No, Adobe doesn't support the ARM6 processor in the Optimus.

Tags: