1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can other music apps play Google Music?

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by razingkane, Dec 11, 2011.

1. razingkane

razingkane Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    I decided to give Google Music a shot. I made a playlist on my pc made it available offline on my phone (moto Photon)and played the playlist using the Google Music app. Then I tried using my other music player app Cloudskipper. It does not find my music. I went out a got a few other music apps and none of them found my Google Music either.

Does Google Music only play on their own Google Music app or am I doing something wrong?

Advertisement

2. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    Pretty sure it will only play through Google. Unless you have your library on your phone, then most apps should recognize the playlist.

3. razingkane

razingkane Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    If my playlist is available offline on my phone doesn't that mean the music is downloaded on the phone? Is that what you mean by "have your library on your phone?" If so, then the library is on my phone but the music apps don't see it.

4. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    No clue then. I really never tried it, I use Google Music on my PC and any playlist there shows up and plays on my phone. I have different playlists on Cubed Player on my phone. I guess playlists are app specific.

5. razingkane

razingkane Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    Ya....I'm not to keen on GM as it is now. I did find the folder where the GM is stored and was able to have Poweramp see it......but, GM stores the music in one folder and all the album information in another folder. So while I can play GM with Poweramp everything is MP3, unknown artist, unknown album.

I like the Cubed Player you mentioned......

6. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    No, it will not allow any other app to access your playlists because these are all stored on the cloud. Even when you cache them locally by making available offline it doesn't necessarily cache full MP3 files and recognizable playlists. Keep in mind that doing any of this would leave the door WIDE open for users to easily be able to make files available for download to anyone and this is something Google is trying to avoid while RIAA watches this whole undertaking VERY carefully.

I have tagged all my files with proper album art and information prior to uploading them to the Google cloud for use on all my devices and I couldn't be happier. Not sure why anyone would really need another music playing app but I do understand the Google Music app is lacking in features to this point. I wish I had a 1x2 widget with album art like I had on my previous music app but MUCH prefer the features I get from GM than the few I gave up.

alostpacket likes this.
  7. razingkane

razingkane Lurker
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    The GM app doesn't get much more basic than what it is. I hope they come up with updates to it. A 1x2 would be nice as would some voice commands I've read about on some other apps.

8. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    As OstrichSak said, GoogleMusic does not play well with other apps -- and really people should complain about this.

They are not even following the Android API for media storage. They are also not following their own "Data Liberation" policy.

Rather they store data in proprietary ways that other apps cannot access. Additionally, any time a user edits a playlist that was never synced through their cloud, Google Music still takes "control" of the playlist and removes it from the MediaStore, rendering it inaccessible.

Unfortunately lots of Music app devs are getting complaints as if this was their problem.

This is one area Google is behaving like Apple -- and really, in my opinion it's unacceptable.

Anyways -- moving this to the Android Media section :)

9. Anfans

None

Dec 7, 2011
    Actually, I haven't used Google Music, but after I searched in Market, I didn't find any one.

10. JasonC

JasonC Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Swadlincote, Derbyshire
    What is wrong with the Google Music app? it plays music just like any other app or am I missing something? Are there any other apps that give you access to your entire music collection (on multiple devices) without copying any files or syncing manually and up to 20,000 tracks for free?

To be honest, I've never listened to so much of my music before until GM appeared, it was always too much of a pain trying to decide what to copy/sync to my phone/tablet and then actually doing it takes an age in itself.

11. Samuru

Samuru Lurker
    None

Feb 24, 2012
    Ok, I have a T Mobile G2X and I'm getting a bit frustrated with the whole music app thing.

First time Android user, but I'm very techy and I know how to work a computer/phone. I have like...9000 songs in iTunes and I wanted to transfer like half of them or less over to my phone so I first tried DoubleTwist which first kind of worked (it uploaded my lists, but then I had to go back and remove some songs. When I updated it again, they disappeared O_O )

Ok, so then I bought iSync which worked PERFECT! BUT I only use the stock music player for android which is fine, but it looks crappy and I want a nice one (like doubletwist, it has what I want, just doesn't read the playlists anymore.... -_-

I downloaded Google Music and a few other music player apps, which look great, but again, DON'T read my playlists but they read my music.

How can I get another music player app to read my playlists that are already read by the stock music player (so that means that it can be done :)

-Michael

12. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    Use the Google Music Importer app. Lets you stream your Google music to your device or even save it for offline use. Also works with almost all music players on the market. PowerAmp, Doubletwist, Winamp, and more.

Hmm used to be free, but looks like they changed the name and are charging for it.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sapien.music.importer

Worth the purchase price in my option though.

13. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    *EDIT* Correction it was always a paid app, just a slight name change and if you already purchased it. (Like myself ) You will get a refund within 24 hours of buying the updated version.

Just in case

14. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    Already received my refund for the upgrade.

15. AwesomeKing27

AwesomeKing27 Lurker
    None

Jan 15, 2014
    It's simple, if it's stored on your hard drive, then most apps should play it because it's on your hard drive under music. If it doesn't work for a particular app then that app probably can't read the file type or something.

16. LuvMusic

LuvMusic Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Chicago area
    I agree with many of the comments posted here that the storage strategy used by Google with Google Music is confusing, inconvenient and frustrating. The GM player itself is OK (not great), I just don't like the song management strategy.

My solution was to use the Amazon MP3 store. You can download all your purchases easily through their app and they are stored in your music folder, on your device of choice, in easy to read MP3 format. You can also upload some music for free though Amazon's limits are not as generous as Google's for space. However, anything you buy DOES NOT count against your music storage cap.

I use one Amazon MP3 account for the family (me, my wife and two sons). All of our music is there and we can download to our device or stream any of the music whenever we want. The "cool" piece about Amazon is it will allow you grant permission for up to 10 devices per account.

Another nice feature is if you use Amazon's desktop app on your PC, whenever you login to your account on your PC, it will identify your newly purchased music and download it to your PC in DRM-free MP3 format. Makes backing-up and moving music around easy.

I ramble. If you don't like Google Music, check out Amazon's MP3 store and app. I found it a much better alternative.

17. Pepee63

Pepee63 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 24, 2011
    Ultimate Media
    Australia:Melbourne
    Why does no one in these forums know this. Download "music mate" from the play store. It puts the music file on your phone so you can play it with any music player. The first 50 songs are for free. Cheers.

18. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    I use a combination. Whatever I have gift cards/credit for, and whichever has what I want for cheaper. Honestly, I usually get my Play Music downloaded to the PC then the device anyway (or my car, since it has an SD slot)

19. LuvMusic

LuvMusic Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Chicago area
    "Music Mate!" Sounds like a land down under thing......mate! :D

The operative phrase in your response is "first 50 songs are free".....and then!? With Amazon I purchase, download to device and I can then use whatever music player I want, no problem and no extra step.

I use both too and when I use Google Play for music I use the same process you suggest. Not a problem for me but for the wife and one of my kids it's "can you sync my music and while you're at it add......"

So, with Google Play music I have an extra steps which are download Google Play music and then upload the music to Amazon's cloud player. Then the fam can be independent...just long press on the song you want while in Amazon's Cloud Player and select download. DONE! Easy Peezy! Also keeps me out of the music manager business for the less independent in my house! :eek:

I guess the "bottom line" is Amazon makes this process very easy for me and my family. If it was just me, I wouldn't care as much.

20. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    They really do make it so much easier to get your music. I love the 'Auto Rip' function with many CD's, too!

21. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    "This app is not available in your country." Could be why we don't know it, all depending where it's available....RIAA restrictions possibly.

22. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    They do, see post #12. The app now has a different name.