1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

can patent anything?

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by InGearX, Jan 10, 2016.

1. InGearX

InGearX Android Enthusiast

so check this out

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Will...otating-camera-on-the-Polaroid-Selfie_id64652

hmm seems that if you put something together first .. you can own a patent to it forever? no not even put it together - just patent it ..

so one can patent a front facing LED flash ..

or one can patent using a mini gimble inside a phone for stabilization?

let's discuss this patent thing further ..

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

This thing has been around for a while, a no-name cheapo lookalike of the Oppo N1, and there's just some importer who licenses the Polaroid trademark for importing budget products from China.

See this thread about crappy Polaroid tablets.
    http://androidforums.com/threads/upgrading-android-software-version.951331/
    "Polaroid,Polaroid and pixel,Polaroid Classic border logo and Polaroid Color Spectrum are trademarks of PLR IP Holdings, LLC, does not manufacture this product or provide any Manufacturer's warranty or support."

IANAL but I don't think they're going to be suing Polaroid. PLR IP Holdings, LLC, is basically what's left of the bankrupt Polaroid Corporation, and makes what they can from their trademark and IP.

Don't think we're going to see any major Apple vs Samsung type litigation here. The importer might receive a cease-and-desist or an order to stop distributing and selling it in the US, but that's about it, certainly not newsworthy IMO....but again IANAL.

US patents last 20 years I believe, and there have been some really ridiculous patents granted.

#2 mikedt, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You get the impression that the US Patent Office simply grants all requests and leaves the courts to sort out which ones are valid. I'm sure it can't be quite that bad, but when you see some of the stuff that they grant it's hard to imagine what they actually reject.

mikedt likes this.