• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can repair shops know my phone is rooted?

Not trying to redirect the thread but heres a newbi question..... What is rooted mean? Is it upgrading the operating system thats not offically released yet?

Rooting just allows the user "root access" to the phone's operating system. This will allow you to do what you say above. It also allows you access to some "root only" apps on the market that take advantage of root access. Basically, whereas Sprint is the "administrator" of your phone right now(they determine what is on it and how it operates), YOU become the administrator.

Upvote 0
Tonight I just dropped my EVO with Best Buy because the usb is dead and cannot charge my phone. It's currently rooted with unrevoked, do you guys think they'll over look that?

I don't have any experience with this situation, but all I can say is it depends on the person/people who look at it. They may not over look it though. So perhaps you may want to prepare yourself for that. Wish you good luck, though.

Upvote 0
I'm torn between the epic and the evo. My wife has an epic and I'm still on my moment until about 2 weeks when I get upgrade discounts. I'm leaning towards the evo though as I'm a heavy navionics user and need a woring gps and want the larger screen. I'm probably going to get an evo and run them side by side for the first month and decide then if I'll keep it.
Hands down the EVO is the hottest thing smoking if you dont need a real keyboard.

Upvote 0
yeah.. there is a huge difference of opinions over there about 2.2 upgrade.

i for one... would be very upset.. and disappointed in samsung. but then I would have to remember the saying...
fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me!

it would really suck.... if EVO got Gingerbread officially... about the same time they get Froyo officially.

Reactions: ovrrdrive
Upvote 0
For samsungs sake I really hope they're planning to skip 2.2 and jump to 2.3 like they did with the moment on the 1.6 update. The hardware is similar to the nexus s in most respects so they should be able to port 2.3 with relative ease. I'm a hardware whore and it was tough to buy the older of the two devices but after playing with both and seeing what samsung is doing with the upgrades again I'm really glad I have an evo.

Upvote 0
I just got my evo back from best buy. They did hard factory reset. So this doesn't mess with rooting does it? Also they replace my power button (I assume they did because the power button is easier to press down on now) and the main frame of the front of the phone because I no longer have scratch marks from the case. Good service from best buy even though it took them two weeks to fix it.

Upvote 0
I don't know if my words matter to anyone, but when I got my EVO (the Monday after release) I spoke to the sales guy and asked about root and OTA and all that. He told me that I was paying $500 for phone and $110 a month for my plan and Sprint didn't really care what I did to my phone as they were getting paid either way. I just don't see why everyone worries so much about Sprint knowing if the phone is rooted or not but again, that's just my story.

That salesmen isn't an HTC warranty decision maker. He doesn't make those decisions.

I am curious. They should not be able to deny you warranty service on something that is totally unrelated to the phone being modified....like a hardware failure in this example. Is there any legal precedent??? In the car world, we always relied on the Magnusson-Moss Act. Basically, no matter how modified your car is, it should not void the warranty on something like an electric window motor. I do believe this act would apply to phones as well. IOW, the fact that your phone has been rooted should have no bearing on whether the warranty work should be accepted/performed since it is a hardware failure and has absolutely nothing to do with the phone being rooted. Obviously in cars, there is a bit more at stake. But that Act is very general and covers all products that have warranties.

Depends... did the modifications cause the electric window motor to fail. Besides I'm in Louisiana, we dont have Common Law here.

Correct, however, some places use it as an excuse to deny a warranty claim. Not saying this happens all the time, but it certainly is in the realm of possibilities...

+1

Upvote 0
OK, Im at the sprint store right now to get my camera lens repaired. My phone is rooted and the second you pick it up you can tell it isn't "stock". Do you think I will have anything to worry about? I think I will be fine. Having the phone rooted has nothing to do with the camera lens breaking. your thoughts are welcome.

(UPDATE) a soon as I gave it to the tech he said, Sweet, I have the same ROM. What kernel are you running"

Go figure

Upvote 0
I will always recommend that you unroot completely before bringing your phone in for service. It doesn't matter that a particular issue is completely unrelated to root. They have every right to deny you your warranty. I have heard, though, that Sprint is more relaxed about it than other carriers. It really seems to depend on who ends up looking at it.

That being said, that's a really funny story. I've heard that most of those guys root their phones and don't care that other people do the same.

Upvote 0
I'm a tech at a sprint service center and most of the time I couldn't care less if you are rooted or not. The only time I would ever deny a warranty claim is if you repeatedly screw up the software and keep wanting me to exchange your phone. We had a guy do this with an epic once and we finally just told him that we wouldn't exchange the phone for the 4th time in a month because he kept effing up the software trying to root it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones