1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

can SGH-I777 be unlocked???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sc2dave1, Oct 14, 2014.

1. sc2dave1

sc2dave1 Newbie

Seems that whoever I ask, they say they can't unlock it. Why not? Is this true? Galaxy SII

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Hi sc2dave1, and welcome to Android Forums :)

I've moved your thread to the subforum specific to your device. :thumbup:

On to your question: the SGH-I777 absolutely can be unlocked. To do so legally, you'll need to contact your carrier (AT&T) for an unlock code. They should give it to you as long as the account is in good standing. :)

sc2dave1 likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Dave, I have an i777 and I can assure you that it can be unlocked. I can't imagine any i777 still being under contract so unless it's been blacklisted, there's no reason AT&T shouldn't give you the code. I can understand an AT&T rep being clueless, so you'll have to keep calling.

I think you have to press "7" to speak to someone with a clue. ;)

sc2dave1 and codesplice like this.
  4. sc2dave1

sc2dave1 Newbie

Oh ok.Hmm, I always thought unlocking was just unlocking, didnt think there was a legal and/or illegal way.Do you have the AT&T number for cell phones? TThanks for your help!!l

5. lunatic59

Maybe there's a little confusion here. Are you talking about carrier unlocking where you take the phone from AT&T and use it on T-Mobile or a foreign network? That's what you need the code for.

If you are talking about unlocking the bootloader and rooting, then you don't need a special code for that.

codesplice likes this.
  6. sc2dave1

sc2dave1 Newbie

Yes, I want to go to T-Mobile.Is it possible for me to obtain an unlock code without paying someone?

7. lunatic59

As long as the phone is not blacklisted, and out of contract, AT&T should give you the code for free. In the states call 1.800.331.0500

I would never use a pay-to-unlock service. Most are rip-offs if you ask me.

You do understand that T-Mobile uses different network frequencies for 3G and you might not get data at broadband speeds?

codesplice likes this.
  8. sc2dave1

sc2dave1 Newbie

I never knew that.Right now I'm using a sgh-i727 with T-mobile.Is this giving me slower speeds also?

9. lunatic59

For 3G, probably, but the Skyrocket was one of the first to support 4G/LTE bands which I think work with T-mobile. Does it feel sluggish? You'd know right away if you were only getting 2G service.

10. sc2dave1

sc2dave1 Newbie

I think it works good. Thanks for everyone's help!

11. sc2dave1

sc2dave1 Newbie

Well, i tried calling that 800 number and they asked if i had an acct. I told them no, i bought the phone on ebay. They said go to www.att.com/deviceunlock .there it asks me for a number. I dont have a number for this phone. How can i do this now?

12. sc2dave1

sc2dave1 Newbie

Here's what it says also; AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances: The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following: a current AT&T customer a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network. The AT&T Mobile Device has been paid for in full. The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen. I still have the sim card. Is there a way to retrieve the number?

13. lunatic59

I take it the previous owner is unreachable? You will need the number that was used on the phone so that it can match up the imei with the account so they can check it's not in default.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews