• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can Sluggishness and Battery life be fixed by 2.0?

sukanas

Dec 6, 2009
Hey, this is my first post here! I came from a BB tour and Im beginning love the android OS.

I got the HTC Eris and I love a lot of things about it but the slugglish moments (not all the time) and the battery life don't seem to cut it for me. Can these stuff be fixed VIA software updates? or should i just go to a motorola droid?

thanks!

hm.. could you please elaborate on why the moto droid is lame?
lol, im in a huge delimma cause i also have the moto droid sitting at my desk and I dont wanna active/open/run/peel off sticker which would bring down the sale price.

if anything, i see the moto droid better?
the HI res screen is AMAZING (seeing my friend's)
and faster processor

the only advantage i see for HTC is the UI. but the default android UI is fine w/ me too. could there possibly be anything in the future thatll make the htc better?

Upvote 0
hm.. could you please elaborate on why the moto droid is lame?
lol, im in a huge delimma cause i also have the moto droid sitting at my desk and I dont wanna active/open/run/peel off sticker which would bring down the sale price.

if anything, i see the moto droid better?
the HI res screen is AMAZING (seeing my friend's)
and faster processor

the only advantage i see for HTC is the UI. but the default android UI is fine w/ me too. could there possibly be anything in the future thatll make the htc better?
The Eris is better in every way. Sure, the screen is smaller...is it that big a deal?
The processor doesn't make a difference seeing as how the DROID is sluggish at best in doing processes the Eris can do at great speeds. Not to mention how horrible the Physical keyboard on the DROID is.

Upvote 0
what about battery life? i know the moto is also bad but isnt not as bad as the ERIS?

oh and how much do you think the software update can improve the HTC batter life?

Battery life is not bad for a smart phone. Although it could be better with some updates and tweaks on the part of the user. It's important not to have too many apps running in the background. There are a few apps that "KILL" running apps and others that prevent them from running at power-up altogether.

So far I dig my Eris and had used the Moto Droid for a little bit in the store. I immediately knew that the Eris was a far superior phone. HTC really did a great job on the device. I came from a G1 from T-mobile and it cannot compare to the snappy UI of the Eris and how well it runs the programs. IMHO the Eris should have had the lime light over the Motorola. The only reason the Motorola got more attention was a few extra specs and the fact Motorola was releasing it's first Android device on Verizon network.

In all fairness the Motorola may see improvements with the next update to fix the lag it has. It's still a great phone. I just like the sleekness of the Eris and the Sense UI. The UI is very intuitive.

Upvote 0
Battery life is not bad for a smart phone. Although it could be better with some updates and tweaks on the part of the user. It's important not to have too many apps running in the background. There are a few apps that "KILL" running apps and others that prevent them from running at power-up altogether.

So far I dig my Eris and had used the Moto Droid for a little bit in the store. I immediately knew that the Eris was a far superior phone. HTC really did a great job on the device. I came from a G1 from T-mobile and it cannot compare to the snappy UI of the Eris and how well it runs the programs. IMHO the Eris should have had the lime light over the Motorola. The only reason the Motorola got more attention was a few extra specs and the fact Motorola was releasing it's first Android device on Verizon network.

In all fairness the Motorola may see improvements with the next update to fix the lag it has. It's still a great phone. I just like the sleekness of the Eris and the Sense UI. The UI is very intuitive.
Well said!

Upvote 0
hm, so to make sure, u guys POSITIVELY dont think its worth getting a phone w/ high res screen w/ a better processor?

Well gee when you put it that way! Play with them in the store and you can see which one you like the most. It should be obvious after you start to use them.

Really the best buy is the Eris, now that there is a great rebate and 2 for 1 deal to be had too. Just makes economic sense. Still play with them and try to put them through their paces. You'll know which one you like.

For me $100 off was pretty sweet for that phone and I came from the G1. I knew Android already and was impressed with the Eris. The Droid, not so much. But, that is just from my perspective.

JUST TRY THEM FIRST. Don't come to a forum and expect an answer that's black and white because there is going to be a bunch of conflicting opinions.

Upvote 0
Personal preferences are to each their own. For me having Sense UI, sleeker android phone, the fact that it just felt better in my hands sold me on the Droid Eris. If you want a physical keyboard and bigger screen then DROID is the one for you. The fact that with the Android OS you can get different phone options is what makes it so much cooler than an iPhone.

Upvote 0
\

JUST TRY THEM FIRST. Don't come to a forum and expect an answer that's black and white because there is going to be a bunch of conflicting opinions.

Exactly. That's like coming here and asking to be told what your favorite color is.

Both phones are good phones. Both have their plusses and minuses. I, and I would suspect most here, say that the Eris has more plusses than negatives. But either way, it's not like if you buy the Droid you're getting a Star Tac or anything like that.

Having said that, whatever it's other faults, Sense UI and the physical aspect of the Eris is WAY more than enough to outclass the Droid. That's why I have an Eris.

Upvote 0
Personal preferences are to each their own. For me having Sense UI, sleeker android phone, the fact that it just felt better in my hands sold me on the Droid Eris. If you want a physical keyboard and bigger screen then DROID is the one for you. The fact that with the Android OS you can get different phone options is what makes it so much cooler than an iPhone.

I just realized my post more or less paraphrased yours, LOL.

Upvote 0
to answer this there's a possibilty of it getting better batterylife with 2.0. it's gotten alot better since the G1. but to say it will be fixed i can't and nobody can. the only people who can say that is HTC and they keep thier cards close to thier chest till they release it. Also your battery preformance can be affected by the apps you download from the market which google never claims or supports. that is the job of the app developer. bug him xxx xxx to fix his app if it's causing battery drain. don't blame the device i know some of widgets cause drain and mms is hit or miss but the life of the phone is not that bad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones