• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can software fix Droid camera?

Oh yeah, that halo effect looks bad! I think its a software problem with most of us. Unless youre getting the halo:eek:, I think camera magic and other apps are the best option until we get our updates.

Here's a comparison between Camera magic and the stock camera app.
Stock first,
rdillz-albums-droid-picture475-2010-01-06-22-21-46.jpg
rdillz-albums-droid-picture476-2010-01-06-22-22-28.jpg

And Camera Magic

rdillz-albums-droid-picture474-2010-01-06-22-23-20.jpg
rdillz-albums-droid-picture477-2010-01-06-22-18-43.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes, software should be able to fix it. I have no problem in bright light, only in low light situations. The 'noisy' pics (in low light) are mainly what people complain about. This should be fixable as I highly doubt this is hardware related.

Also I don't believe the clicks people hear have any bearing on its ability to focus. I use shopsavvy and barcode scanner quite a bit and have absolutely no issues with focusing. These programs won't be able to function if there were.

What I've found as a prerequisite to taking clean pics is cleaning the lens. Since there is no lens cover, it's easy for the glass to get dirty. Dirty glass = bad pics.

Upvote 0
anyone use barcode scanner or any application like that (i.e. shop savvy).. i do get clicking when i start up the camera and when i take a picture right before it snaps it which doesn't bother me.. but its when i use these apps that kill it for me..

the app will start up and immediately the screen will keep trying to focus in and out NON-STOP, and since its trying to focus NON-STOP then the clicking is non-stop.. even when it finds a barcode it doesn't stop, it'll just keep on clicking... makes the app unusable because it sounds horrible.

any thoughts on this? some people claim that they dont hear anything in barcode scanner type apps while others say they hear it sometimes but it stops.. mines an unending loop of focusing and clicking.

if i dont see any solution (or find that its not normal) im gonna go take this back and see what happens on the next droid i get ;\

thx

Upvote 0
anyone use barcode scanner or any application like that (i.e. shop savvy).. i do get clicking when i start up the camera and when i take a picture right before it snaps it which doesn't bother me.. but its when i use these apps that kill it for me..

the app will start up and immediately the screen will keep trying to focus in and out NON-STOP, and since its trying to focus NON-STOP then the clicking is non-stop.. even when it finds a barcode it doesn't stop, it'll just keep on clicking... makes the app unusable because it sounds horrible.

any thoughts on this? some people claim that they dont hear anything in barcode scanner type apps while others say they hear it sometimes but it stops.. mines an unending loop of focusing and clicking.

if i dont see any solution (or find that its not normal) im gonna go take this back and see what happens on the next droid i get ;\

thx

This is normal. The clicking doesn't affect the operation of Barcode Scanner.

Upvote 0
This is normal. The clicking doesn't affect the operation of Barcode Scanner.

so im assuming that only some people have this 'problem'? some have said theirs dont do this at all and is completely quiet, some say it stops making the clicking after it focuses... while mine is non stop clicking and focusing until i turn the app off..

i mean the app works fine but it sounds like my phone is coming apart when im waiting for it to pick up the barcode!

Upvote 0
so im assuming that only some people have this 'problem'? some have said theirs dont do this at all and is completely quiet, some say it stops making the clicking after it focuses... while mine is non stop clicking and focusing until i turn the app off..

i mean the app works fine but it sounds like my phone is coming apart when im waiting for it to pick up the barcode!

I don't know who said what but as far as I know, the constant focusing is perfectly normal. I use Barcode Scanner all the time. Don't worry about the sound, it will not break, lol.

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me if the quality below is normal? I am running out of time to replace this thing!

here's the pictures my cam is taking in low light.

Is this the same glow that I need to be concerned about? I just thought the camera sucks, but if it's not supposed to look like this...

the hat is supposed to be black and orange btw, not blue and white.

glowhat.jpg
cats.jpg

Upvote 0
discohornet,

i would say your pictures are pretty similar to what i'm getting. pictures look great with good lighting, but low light situations using the flash they look like poop. I'm not sure who motorola paid to give them such great camera reviews, but apparently they greased the right palms, my old LG 1.3 Mpixel phone did a better job then this one in low light settings.

Upvote 0
My pictures look just like the ones everyone else is posting. I've tried all kinds of different settings. Would like some suggestions for an app that works. Yes, I agree my old junker phone takes way better pictures. Can't understand what the problem is with this, other than the software obviously sux.

Upvote 0
My Motorola Droid takes OK pictures in daylight but in low-light situations, like in a bar or restaurant, I can't see anything at all on the screen, it's completely black.

I have to just guess that I have the subject in the viewfinder - it's ridiculous! The flash works, but the pics don't come out that great either, as others have suggested because of the halo effect.

Is there some kind of setting you need to use to take pictures in low light? Or an app?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones