• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can someone do me a huge favor please? Help a fellow out...

dvdqnoc

Android Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2009
Here's the deal. I am seriously considering rooting my Hero to achieve one main goal: speed. I hear that rooting the Hero will let it run very smoothly and with almost zero lag.

Now about my favor. Can anyone record a video of their rooted Hero so I can see exactly how fast it is? If you have rooted your Hero, removed Sprint apps, installed apps on SD, and all that jazz, and now have a lightning-fast Hero, I would really really appreciate if you showed me.

Please record things like...
- swiping between homescreens
- scrolling in the main apps menu
- scrolling/browsing the People apps
- keyboard's acceleromter rotation
- dialer lag (or lack thereof)
- browsing/pinchzoom on browser
- browsing through Music app
- opening/browsing albums
- speed of opening apps in general

I know this seems like a lot to ask for, but I am not very knowledgeable in rooting, and I dont want to risk ruining my phone that I have to use for the next 2 years unless I can see that the results are going to be worth it.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :D

While I can't provide any video due to my latest Hero taking a swim in the toilet, I'll toss in my two cents instead.

"Rooting" your phone will yield no affect on your phone's performance; it simply allows you access to the "root" of you device system.

What can potentially enable your phone to operate a little more fluidly is if you decide to install one of the many ROMs available for the Android OS. Also being able to manipulate everything else on your phone such as; deleting stock apps., changing directories, etc.

The choice of ROM is simply up you with regard to what you want. Each ROM offers something a bit different. Keep in mind that, while you don't have to be a genius to root and manipulate your phone, it would be beneficial for you to have a healthy understanding of what you're doing and why you're doing it. I say this because I've helped out a handful of people who have made an array of mistakes while trying to manipulate their system.

With 2.0 being released by Sprint in the near future, I'd advise a person who is looking to just speed up their phone's operation -- with little interest in other dev. areas -- to hold off until they get a feel of what the new firmware is like. Remember, once you install a third-party ROM, you'll practically be unable to get the new Android release. Granted, you're able to flash your device and set it back to where you once had it before you rooted your phone (via the backup you must make), but that's just one more added step to someone not particularly interested in much else other than freeing up a few resources.

Not trying to be a jerk here, just giving some constructive advice.

Good luck with whatever you do :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, that didnt sound "jerk"ish at all and it was very helpful.

I knew that rooting simply meant allowing root access to the phone, and I knew that there wouldn't be any changes to the performance before using a custom ROM. I just kind of implied that when saying "root".

I am hoping to remove some of the Sprint apps that I dont use (like NLF Live) and load my apps from my SD card (I have a 16GB class 6), if that helps improve the speed of the phone.

Also, I was aware that Sprint will be issuing an Android 2.1 release sometime next year, and as you said, it will probably be better for me to wait and try that out first. But I wanted to also do as much research, and get an idea of how a rooted Hero's speed looks like in the meantime.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
I have rooted and kept the stock Sprint rom. I have removed Nascar (simply because I cant stand seeing it in the app tray) but by doing this, you gain no speed and actually do not gain usable memory space since it is removed from a different folder than where downloadable apps reside. Where I did gain what might be margainable speed is by moving the cache for browser, market, google maps, google street view, and gmail to the sd card with an app in the Market named Move Cache Move Cache for Root Users v1.4 Application for Android | Tools and to clear all caches with one click I downloaded Cachemate CacheMate v2.1.1 Application for Android | Tools. This is one of the best apps on the maket in my opinion to keep your Hero running smoothly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones