• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can someone explain how Kies works?

Kies its a multi featured lump of bs.
It is necessary for officialy updating firmware but is causing more headaches than anything of its kind that I have heard of.

I had no problems using it or connecting my phone with it untill yesterday, now I cannot get it to recognize my phone.

The program can do a multitude of tasks such has burning cd's, none of which are needed but you have to instal all of them, leading the program to take up 2gigs of hard disk space.

Usability seems to vary from user to user but allot of people are reporting problems getting kies to "see" their phone. I am still trying to fix mine.

Upvote 0
As mentioned above....and from SO MANY postings in this forum...it doesn't !
I have read many reports of Kies being extremely difficult to use to get connected AND it actually screwing up users phones to the point to where they're getting black screens and not even able to perform the 3 button reboot. That's pretty serious....and absolutely ridiculous.
As an SGS user that's been thinking of doing a firmware upgrade when it becomes an official release...I've been reading up on postings regarding Kies more and more recently..including tonight....and it's pretty scary.
I'm actually thinking of either forgetting about doing an upgrade....or...wait until I hear of a PROVEN and WORTHWHILE alternative.
I heard something about using Odin....but haven't actually read in specifics or success stories from Odin users as yet.

As of now the SGS firmware upgrade (Froyo 2.2) has only been officially released in Scandinavia. I'll be keeping an eye out for reports from that area.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones