• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can someone help me remove Clockwork Mod?

Android noob

Mar 28, 2010
So I downloaded the application ROM manager and then I installed the Clockwork Mod recovery and now I'm hearing that it can end up bricking your phone so I want to know how to get Amon's recovery image back... When I look in the ROM manager application the flash alternate recovery is greyed out so I need another way to do it.

no don't do that.

II. Installing Amon's recovery image

1. Download this file: Recovery.zip

2. Extract file contents to your \tools\ directory of your Android SDK.

3. Open up a command prompt and go to your tools directory, and execute these commands: (MAKE SURE YOUR SDCARD IS NOT MOUNTED TO YOUR COMPUTER OR THESE COMMANDS WON'T WORK! MAKE SURE IT IS ON "CHARGE ONLY")
  • adb shell mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
  • adb push recovery.img /sdcard
  • adb push flash_image /system/bin
  • adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
  • adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
straight from the source
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

Upvote 0
I hope you can help me...I installed Clockwork Mod/Nandroid a couple of months back and now, for whatever reason, it is keeping me from being able to install the OTA 2.2. I don't really want to be modding my phone and just want to put everything back the way it was, unrooted and all. Can you assist me in pretty much layman's terms because I don't have anything installed that I did when I first did this. Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
I hope you can help me...I installed Clockwork Mod/Nandroid a couple of months back and now, for whatever reason, it is keeping me from being able to install the OTA 2.2. I don't really want to be modding my phone and just want to put everything back the way it was, unrooted and all. Can you assist me in pretty much layman's terms because I don't have anything installed that I did when I first did this. Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the AndroidForums, jmhardy!

Check out this thread: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/154351-i-think-i-lost-recovery.html -- this should link you to this thread over on XDA [HOW-TO] Safely Switch Back To Amon From Clockwork Recovery - xda-developers and also references http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...ete-clockwork-mod-replace-amons-recovery.html.

Cheers, and I hope this helps you!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the AndroidForums, jmhardy!

Check out this thread: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/154351-i-think-i-lost-recovery.html -- this should link you to this thread over on XDA [HOW-TO] Safely Switch Back To Amon From Clockwork Recovery - xda-developers and also references http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...ete-clockwork-mod-replace-amons-recovery.html.

Cheers, and I hope this helps you!

s.a.,

The stock recovery is needed for the OTA to work correctly (although, if it failed once, it would also need to be manually applied after replacement of the recovery partition with the stock recovery). Replacing clockwork with Amon_RA won't get him what he wants, which is apparently the July OTA (or "back to stock").

Note also that if the PlainJane or Ivanmmj Official ROMs use the same init.rc scripts that the stock 2.1 HTC ROMs used, then the "One Click" or "Dummies" rooting methods will overwrite the recovery partition with Amon_RA. Think of it as "rooting root". That's sort of an easy way to do things that uses methods that are familiar to him/her.

There are three or four other alternatives: he/she can just install T2noobs "Plain Jane T2", using his/her existing ROM Manager/clockwork. It is based on the July 17 OTA, so it should work identically to the HTC (July 17 OTA) stock ROM.

If "back to stock" is mandatory, the easiest thing for him/her to do is flash the Leak-V3 PB00IMG.ZIP ROM. As soon as it starts up, it will recognized that the July OTA is needed; not only that, but it gets him/her back to 100% stock.

eu1

Upvote 0
s.a.,

The stock recovery is needed for the OTA to work correctly (although, if it failed once, it would also need to be manually applied after replacement of the recovery partition with the stock recovery). Replacing clockwork with Amon_RA won't get him what he wants, which is apparently the July OTA (or "back to stock").

Note also that if the PlainJane or Ivanmmj Official ROMs use the same init.rc scripts that the stock 2.1 HTC ROMs used, then the "One Click" or "Dummies" rooting methods will overwrite the recovery partition with Amon_RA. Think of it as "rooting root". That's sort of an easy way to do things that uses methods that are familiar to him/her.

There are three or four other alternatives: he/she can just install T2noobs "Plain Jane T2", using his/her existing ROM Manager/clockwork. It is based on the July 17 OTA, so it should work identically to the HTC (July 17 OTA) stock ROM.

If "back to stock" is mandatory, the easiest thing for him/her to do is flash the Leak-V3 PB00IMG.ZIP ROM. As soon as it starts up, it will recognized that the July OTA is needed; not only that, but it gets him/her back to 100% stock.

eu1

eu1,

You are, of course, 100% right...I had to fully read your post and go back and re-read jmhardy's post to fully "get" it :D [but I do now].

I was stuck on seeing the ClockworkMod references and was somewhat confused by the "2.2" reference (my eyes saw "Froyo") and totally blew by the "OTA" and "unrooted" portions of their post. Your eyes and mind are as keen as an eagle :).

Apologies to jmhardy for leading you down a wrong path...I will endeavor to read more carefully.

Thank you, eu1, for watching over all of us.

edit: I also PM'd jmhardy so he would see your post as soon as he logs back in.

Upvote 0
SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!! I've got a Droid X that I rooted a while back using Z4 root app. It worked great I got the X bootstrap app and clockwork recovery app and titanium backup and I've made backups of everything. I have not flashed any custom Roms yet just made a bootstrap nandroid backup of my phone. I want to return my X back to stock completely because I'm going to be taking it in to Verizon. I can unroot just fine but when I restart my phone it boots up into clockwork recovery every time and then my superuser icon reappears in my app drawer. Which I'm assuming is because the phone is still running clockwork. But how the hell do I get clockwork off my phone!?!? HELP!?!

Upvote 0
SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!! I've got a Droid X that I rooted a while back using Z4 root app. It worked great I got the X bootstrap app and clockwork recovery app and titanium backup and I've made backups of everything. I have not flashed any custom Roms yet just made a bootstrap nandroid backup of my phone. I want to return my X back to stock completely because I'm going to be taking it in to Verizon. I can unroot just fine but when I restart my phone it boots up into clockwork recovery every time and then my superuser icon reappears in my app drawer. Which I'm assuming is because the phone is still running clockwork. But how the hell do I get clockwork off my phone!?!? HELP!?!

Unfortunately, you've posted in the Eris root forum. You'll want the Droid X root forum:
Droid X - All Things Root - Android Forums where I suspect someone will lead you to the proper SBF file.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones