• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can someone please test GPS for me?

sjdean

May 28, 2009
I need to decide whether to send my phone back as faulty for a replacement or whether I should just give up. I need to check if anybody else has a working GPS.

Can you do me a real big favour? Can you download "GPS Test" from Chartcross Limited (from the Market).

It's a pretty cool app and looks pretty nice on the screen in any event.

Here is a comparison with a HTC Desire:

Picasa Web Albums - sjdean - Shared

As you can see, the HTC Desire has more satellites but less signal. But it means it is capable of a better signal lock and more accuracy.

Signal lock is so up and down on my Galaxy S. It will randomly lose connection and gain connection, losing connection to satellites with high signal strength and not seeing them anymore, than gaining connection with low signal strength. It refuses to use certain satellites and refuses to use anything with a low signal strength.

So unlike my friends HTC Desire, I don't see any orange or red on the signal meter.

Just walking around the block, my GPS bounces between two and give satellites, resetting its satellite list, not locking onto satellites, ignorning higher signal strengths then locking onto low signal strength of "20" and then losing them.

Right now, my phone is bouncing between 357.6 and 98.4 feet accuracy, seeing seven satellites but using none, even though I have four satellites with an SnR of more than 22. Even the magnetic compass is bouncing around all over the place. My phone is just sitting there on the desk (by a window) doing nothing, and signals are so far up and down it's ridiculous.

So the question is, if you install this app and pop outside, for a few minutes, what do you get?

Do you get a lot of satellites? More than 4? Do signal strengths stabilise? Do you only get yellow and green results like me, or do you get all manner of red and orange satellite signal strengths?

Looking forward to your quick posts.

Cheers
Simon

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones