• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can someone plz explain the rooting process to me

aka123

Lurker
Sep 12, 2011
Hello,

Yes i'm a noob

I've been using my samsung galaxy s2 for a while now and today i finally decided to root the device and maybe look for a good rom since i'm having battery drain issues.

i followed a step by step tutorial on the rooting process, i downloaded all the required files including the final version of kies. once i connected the phone the first message that popped up was "There's an update for your phone , current firmware version: PDA:KG2/Phone:KF1/CSC:KG1(XSG), Latest firmware version: PDA:KH1/PHONE:KG5/CSC:KH1(XSG)". now this automatically scared the crap out of me since i used to be an iphone user and the most important law in jailbreaking the iphone is NEVER to update your device until the jailbreak is supported.

Now my question is since im not yet rooted on the device, should i update it using kies and then root it with odin? or should i just stick to my current firmware? which way is better for flashing other roms.

i searched and searched and searched with nothing , websites don't explain anything

sorry for the long intro but i'm really really confused about all this :thinking::thinking:

You can update if you want and you will still be able to root, but I see no point if you are going for a custom rom. Just root then flash custom rom.

Thank you so much for the quick reply , I really appreciate it

i just have a couple of questions for you

1) does it matter how i root the device , i found two different methods one is called CF-ROOT and the other is called SuperOneClick?

2) what custom rom do you prefer, im looking for something that is good for the battery , i did some research and ended up choosing villain rom. Do you think its a good rom?

Upvote 0
+1 for CF-root - it is very easy to use and agree with steslatt that is the way forward for rooting

however, i'm gonna stick my neck on the line and contradict steslatt (dangerous, because he is the fountain of all knowledge) - i think superoneclick does add CWM recovery and everything else CF-root does...

BUT i intitially tried using the superoneclick method and the programme simply didn't work. this was a problem for a month or so I believe, and it may be working again now.... may as well stick with chainfire though - seems to be the preferred method on here.

Upvote 0
+1 for CF-root - it is very easy to use and agree with steslatt that is the way forward for rooting

however, i'm gonna stick my neck on the line and contradict steslatt (dangerous, because he is the fountain of all knowledge) - i think superoneclick does add CWM recovery and everything else CF-root does...

BUT i intitially tried using the superoneclick method and the programme simply didn't work. this was a problem for a month or so I believe, and it may be working again now.... may as well stick with chainfire though - seems to be the preferred method on here.

It was a guess based on reading the first post in the superoneclick thread, doesn't mention CWM so I assumed it didn't install it? I could be wrong though :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones