1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Can someone recommend a faster camera app?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PSUlion01, Aug 28, 2010.

1. PSUlion01

PSUlion01 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I'm liking the quality of the camera but the shutter lag is way slower than on my old env2 and on the inc. anyone know of any other camera apps that are quicker with the AF and shutter? Any idea if 2.2 fixes this?

Advertisement

Djard likes this.
  2. Podivin

Podivin Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I use the Vignette app. Can't say for sure whether or not it's faster than what you're currently using, but it's a great app and there is a free version so it won't cost you anything to give it a try. :)

3. PSUlion01

Jul 25, 2010
    I have the vignette demo and have tried a bunch of other camera apps. Vignette does seem faster but i wanted to see what others had to say.

Any experience with camera zoom? I have read good things but i dont think they have a demo to try out. Just looking for something that's a bit faster.
    Thx

4. PSUlion01

Jul 25, 2010
    I have the vignette demo and have tried a bunch of other camera apps. Vignette does seem faster but i wanted to see what others had to say.

Any experience with camera zoom? I have read good things but i dont think they have a demo to try out. Just looking for something that's a bit faster.
    Thx

5. Deathshead

Deathshead Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camera on 2.2 is ALOT faster,

montana and PSUlion01 like this.
  6. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

U can set the time that the pic displays after taking a pic to Never.

7. PSUlion01

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up regarding 2.2. I guess I'll just suck it up and wait it out.

Pic review time isn't the issue...it's the shutter lag. Thanks all.

8. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Vignette may be fast in DEMO because it is manipulating a .3mp (yup point 3mp) photo. That is all the Demo allows.

9. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I am using camera360 pro. I'm not sure whether or not there is a trial version tbh. Afaik you can do the while buy and return thing if you don't want it (24 hr window if I'm not mistaken).

I tried vignette before moving to this one and didn't like it as much. If I remember correctly, vignette didn't have a touch-screen-to-shoot option. Camera360 Pro has a few different options including touch once to shoot without focusing at all, touch once and it will focus and then auto shoot, touch once to focus and then again to shoot, and there's one or two options I can't remember.

I really didn't do a shutter speed comparison, but I recommend that you buy both apps, run a comparison at a pixel level you are comfortable shooting at for most pics, and then choose one. As someone else mentioned, be careful to scour the settings for each program to make sure you aren't being tricked by a low resolution photo setting or anything else that may be hiding in the menus.

If you have any specific questions let met know.

PSUlion01 likes this.
  10. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

How do you change the default camera application when pressing the dedicated button?

11. PSUlion01

Jul 25, 2010

Thanks. I'm not worried about the processing time, which may depend on a 3mp vs 8mp or whatever. My issue was more with the shutter lag when snapping a pic. My wife's incredible snaps almost instantaneously, while the X takes its sweet time to focus, then the shutter releases. Even after I have focus lock there's still a second lag. I know it's not a DSLR or even a standalone P&S, but after seeing the INC snap so quickly I was hoping to see similar performance on the DX.

Will check out Camera360 (I believe I have the demo). Really like Vignette and wasn't as wild about 360 but I'll give it another look.

Oh and FYI Vignette does have an option to shoot by tapping the screen.

Thanks!

12. kwest12

kwest12 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2009
    no idea... not sure if that's even possible

Gotcha, well please let us know what you find out

13. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Marlton, NJ
    Having owned the Incredible, I'd say the shutter lag was worse on that than the DX.

14. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Between Imladris and Lothl
    Since I installed the free version of Vignette, when I press the camera button, it prompts me for which app to use (giving the option to use one as a default).

15. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2010
    WNC
    This just reminded me of a question.. do any o the camera apps have red eye reduction? I could swear I saw that in something, but it might have been the camera 2.2 app I used when I had froyo installed.

16. kempyk

kempyk Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Did anyone find out if 360 had less shutter lag? Or do any of them support putting a finger on the screen and taking the picture instantly when the finger is released? (like pushing a shutter button half way down on a real camera)