1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can someone recommend a good New Sense ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by A.Nonymous, Mar 9, 2011.

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    I've been using Nils Business Sense. I've found it to be fairly stable, but every once in a while, the device ties itself in knots and I've got to do a battery pull just to make it work. This could be user error on my end for all I know, but the lockups tend to be random and I can't really predict them.

Anyway, I'm looking for another New Sense ROM to try out. I am loving, loving, loving New Sense. I know Virtuous and Skyraider are both awesome ROMS (I've used them both), but I must have New Sense. I see a number of New Sense ROMS out there though. Can anyone recommend a good one out of the pack?

Advertisement

2. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    All of the big "New Sense" ROMs are based on the same Desire Z pull. So long as they're updated, they all have the same common issues. Each ROM chef just cooks in his own tweaks, just as Skyraider, Redemption, Virtuous, and others have done with the stock ROM.

The big 3 for the Z port seem to be Nils (business oriented), Warm (themed), and Uber Z (stock-ish with speed tweaks).

3. Sean1208

Sean1208 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Uber is the best, IMO. I ran it as my daily for about two straight months without issue.

4. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    What are the new features in Sense 2.0 that make it so great?

5. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    I didn't play with it long enough, but here's a few;

• Support for landscape in more Sense apps, as well as the home screen
    • Now has multiple Sense themes (change the dock, lockscreen, etc.)
    • Support for htcsense.com, which allows you to use the website to further interact with your phone, to include remote wiping.
    There's more, a lot of minor but nice changes. I also liked the new text editing function (much better than using the trackball/pad).

jpzsports likes this.
  6. jpzsports

jpzsports Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2009
    Thanks! I'm currently on Incredibly Re-Engineered v2.3.2 and was thinking about trying Incredibly Re-Engineered Z v1.0.1. Since it contains Sense 2.0, it might be worth a shot.

I noticed that the kernel used has some OC in it. Is this necessary? I feel like the stock speed of the CPU is powerful enough.

7. jayochs

jayochs Android Enthusiast
    None

May 14, 2010
    Critical Infrastructure Protection Bureau, Office
    Brick, NJ
  8. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    IT Security
    Near Albany, NY
    What version are you on? Version 5.0 is up with some enhancements and stability updates

9. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    i ran warm and uber for a couple days each. im not a huge sense fan,so i keep going back to cm7. i thot uber was just a lil laggy,and warm had 3 random reboots in the 2 days i ran it.

but otherwise,both were good enuff to keep using.

i like incredibly reingineered alot... seeing hes working on a new sense rom,ill definately give it a shot :)

10. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Teacher/Church Planter/ Basketball Coach
    Cincinnati
    My biggest issue with Z roms is the phantom dropped calls. I can't have my phone beep at me like a lost call go silent for a few seconds then come back like nothing happened at all. I wish that would be fixed and I'd go Z and never look back.

11. CJeep

CJeep Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Connecticut
    I for one, keep coming back to Redemptive Revolution. I've tried many others, but this is "The One." Paired with one of Lou's kernels (same dev for kernel & ROM) (#8 or 9), it is 100% stable, lightining fast, and battery life is great. while you don't get Sense 2.0, this is an EVO framework ROM, and I think it just works better then the Z roms (and better than all-Inc framework as well). It's also so polished and pleasing to the eye. I can't praise it highly enough.

12. jayochs

jayochs Android Enthusiast
    None

May 14, 2010
    Critical Infrastructure Protection Bureau, Office
    Brick, NJ
    agreed, RR is a sweet rom. used that for months until i found warm z. only reason i left lou's RR is because i still had awful horrible typing lag with that, and i tested my theory of the fact that this typing lag is linked to poor coding or something between the original version of sense on here and the OTA froyo we got, and when i got warm z with sense 2.0, i have no text lag at all. so maybe lou can get into sense 2 with RR!

13. Hitch_Itch

Hitch_Itch Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    I ran warm z for two days, The new sense is sweet but I had way to mant force close's and my battery life dropped in half. I keep switching back to skyraider, I have new had one issue with it and my battery will go for at least 2 days with moderate use.
    I really hope one of the dev's can get the new sense to be rock solid, if and once that happens Im jumping back on board

14. lukestuffy

lukestuffy Member
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    pipefitter
    Missoula, MT
    I tried the newest magnolia Rom, and I have had zero issues at all. Everything works perfect and I can't think of any reason to switch. I did have to flash the battery fix.zip though, which replaced the kernel with the stock one, so now battery is good and I smile a lot about it.

15. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    NJ
    I am on Inc Re-Engineered 2.3.2 and I think it is great! I tried the Z version, but couldn't get Launcher Pro to install. That was enough of a reason for me to stop using it.