• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can someone recommend a mileage tracking app?

joshteran

Dec 10, 2009
I travel on the road a lot for work, and travelling expenses are probably my largest tax write-off. Yet, I've been unable to find a nice app in the marketplace that allows me to simply input my starting odometer and my ending odometer when I get home, and arrive at a simple calculation as to how many miles I traveled on that particular trip, and what my approximate tax write-off would be.

On the Iphone, I used to use an app called "MileBug". It was great. Sadly I haven't been able to find anything that compares to that app in android.

Do any of you know of a good app for such a purpose? I'm not interested in the plethora of apps available to monitor my gas mileage or my MPG. I just want a simple application that allows me to quickly record my miles traveled per trip.

I travel on the road a lot for work, and travelling expenses are probably my largest tax write-off. Yet, I've been unable to find a nice app in the marketplace that allows me to simply input my starting odometer and my ending odometer when I get home, and arrive at a simple calculation as to how many miles I traveled on that particular trip, and what my approximate tax write-off would be.

Do any of you know of a good app for such a purpose? I'm not interested in the plethora of apps available to monitor my gas mileage or my MPG. I just want a simple application that allows me to quickly record my miles traveled per trip.

I'm with you - and surprisingly there aren't many for Blackberry, either, and yet a business focused phone is missing this type of app. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and maybe someone (or even a developer) will latch on and give us what we need. And I couldn't agree more - I don't care about the gas mileage, I need BUSINESS MILES traveled. It would be nice if it remembered your mileage from the last ending miles as your beginning miles, but beggars can't be choosers at this point!

Upvote 0
I will look at mileage tracker.... but I am also curious why you can't just use a simple spreadsheet for this. I have a google.doc spreadsheet that I set up on my computer, and have access to it online. I have even bookmarked it in my droid browser and can simply put in starting mileage as I get in the car, end mileage as I get out.

it's web based, so I can enter it while on the road and it's there for me to print in April from my computer, no syncing data, etc. I have 2 vehicles that I use, and the spreadsheets are set up (from home, prior to the fiscal year) so I can have seperate pages for separate vehicles, added up for one grand total. Plus a separate page for fees like uniforms (I ref is the 'business') hotels, food, even gas.

Upvote 0
I published TripsnMiles Premium last week. I wrote it years ago because I needed something on my Windows Mobile phone, and I rewrote if for Android because I switched to a Nexus One in January and did not want to carry my old phone with me just for the mileage app.
Since I use one of my cars exclusively for business, I was not so much interested in the calculation of the tax deduction (I deduct 100%), but this would be an interesting feature.
The free version does not have the export to CSV feature. The premium version writes a CSV file to the SD card and optionally sends the file as an email attachment to the address that is configured.

Upvote 0
Dear Forum Members,

Please check out our new VR Mileage Tracker App on the Android Market! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at any time. Would appreciate any feedback on the product if you decide to try it!

You can also view a description and screen shots at www.androidzoom.com

Have a great day!

Tricia Jackson
Sales Manager
Visual Records Consulting, Inc.
www.visualrecords.com

Upvote 0
I too use Mileage Tracker. You can use it simply to keep track of daily mileage by entering the starting mileage and ending mileage (it does however automatically input the next days starting mileage as the previous days ending mileage). You can also get more involved by having it figure a user defined rate per mile.
You can also backup the database to the sd card. Of course you can email the database as a spreadsheet.
I like the app. Your mileage may vary. :)

Upvote 0
My old Palm is still working:). My major application is a mileage tracker for both business and personal, and also when i do maintenance for income tax purposes. This has saved me valuable time at income tax time for several years. The program is called Quickmile from quickmile.com. I can track start stop and give each trip a destination name. I can even export to excel spreadsheet and compile by month. Ive been checking some of the apps out I don't need gps to tell me how far i've gone. but to be able to have a conduit to excel is invaluable. does anybody have a simple app for android no of anything coming down the pipe

Upvote 0
I use Mileage Tracker on my BB Bold. I think it might be different than the Mileage Tracker others are referring to. The one I purchased uses the GPS. Launch the app, click Start Tracking and when you are finished Stop Tracking ..done! You can then input any related expenses and email the report. Awesome!

Sure hope something comparable is available soon :(

Upvote 0
I use Mileage Tracker on my BB Bold. I think it might be different than the Mileage Tracker others are referring to. The one I purchased uses the GPS. Launch the app, click Start Tracking and when you are finished Stop Tracking ..done! You can then input any related expenses and email the report. Awesome!

Sure hope something comparable is available soon :(

There is something similar that I've been testing called Trip Master. It works pretty good but there are some improvements that need to be made to help comply with the IRS rules. I contacted the developer and they said they are working on an update. We'll see.

Reactions: Frank_Toronto
Upvote 0
There is something similar that I've been testing called Trip Master. It works pretty good but there are some improvements that need to be made to help comply with the IRS rules. I contacted the developer and they said they are working on an update. We'll see.

Trip Master looks promising. I like the clean interface however it does not support Kilometers (unless I am missing something). Perhaps the dev can include this in an update.

Upvote 0
I could see an app like this hogging battery like no other.....GPS on alot...even if it were increments....alot....better have a car charger handy.

Some people hate battery hogging apps. All depends how high the desire for the app is though

It depends on how the app is programmed. The one I've got doesn't keep GPS on all the time. It turns on GPS when I launch it and when it goes to sleep in the background, GPS goes away. I never see GPS turn on while I'm driving. How it tracks my mileage exactly I have no clue, but I've sat there and taken odometer readings before and after and compared them to the app and it's extremely accurate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones