• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can someone walk me through a first-time root?

xrae

Mar 17, 2011
Could someone walk me through rooting my V? I'm a first-timer. Here are my specs:

LG Optimus V
Model: VM670
Android 2.2.1
Baseband: VM670ZV4
Kernel: 2.6.32.9 lge@android-build #4
Build # FRG83
SW Version VM670ZV4
HW Version 1.2

I want to root to free up space and allow some larger apps to be installed. I don't necessarily care about custom ROMs, though I can be persuaded :) The phone is about 14 months old, WAY past warranty.

From what I'm seeing, looks like i can use Gingerbreak or the SuperOneClick methods. Does one have an advantage over the other? I'm all for simplicity.

After rooting, do I need to reinstall any of my apps?

Should I use my spare, smaller SD card during the root process, then reinstall my current one in case a mid-root format happens?

Thanks ... I'm comfortable around computers, have a tiny experience programming, but this makes me nervous!

Well first off the Standard Warning.. Rooting your phone can be hazardous to your phones health and can turn it into a brick. Though this is very unlikely anything is possible. If you are ok with the risk continue on...

I would recommend Gingerbreak as it can be done on the phone alone. SuperOneClick runs on a pc and requires the phone to be plugged into the pc to root.

1. Download Gingerbreak v1.20 from this thread [App] [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

2. Place the file on your sdcard.. If you have a spare sdcard I'd use it. *If switching memory cards with phone turned on make sure you unmount the current in Settings > Storage before you remove the current sdcard

3. Go to Settings > Applications and check Unknown Sources

4. Go to Settings > Applications > Development and check USB Debugging

5. Using a file manager browse the sdcard and click on the Gingerbreak file to install it

6. Once it installs go into your app drawer and open the app

7. Select Root device and let it work it's magic. The phone will reboot when it's done. If it doesn't, reboot it manually once it's finishes

8. Once the phone reboots check your phone for a new app called SuperUser. If you see it you should be rooted. You can download an app called root checker from the market to check if process worked if you are unsure.

*If you don't see superuser or the process fails keep trying as it can take a few tries. You can download an app called root checker from the market to check if process worked if you are unsure.

Rooting your phone should not affect any of your current apps, data or settings. Me personally I could never see going back to stock after running a custom rom for this long. The phone just runs so much better with a custom rom. If you decide to try and install a custom rom read through the stickies at the top of the forum for more info.

My suggestion is to read everything thoroughly before attempting anything.... And by all means AVOID Rom Manager. For a custom rom I highly recommend BACKside

Reactions: xrae
Upvote 0
So far I've:
  • Rooted
  • Backed up with Titanium
  • Created the 2nd partition
  • Link2SD is booting up to mount the 2nd partition

So far so good, crossed fingers, knock on wood, all that. At first I though the reboot was locked up as the clock was showing 12:01, then I realized it was actually 12:01. :D

Upvote 0
Link2SD went well after I figured out that I needed to move SD apps back to the phone and then link them (reading comprehension fail). The only app I've had issues with so far is Dolphin browser. I completely uninstalled it, then reinstalled, linked, now it works fine.

I really appreciate all the tutorials and tips to get this done right..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones