• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can the internal board be swapped?

usmc2871

Lurker
Dec 3, 2012
I have a Galaxy S3 w/ VZW. I cracked the screen of my phone to the point it can no longer be used (actually the galss is fine the LCD is shot). My insurance covered a replacement however I have a few serialized apps that I can not recover since the play store apps can not be saved to the SD card. My question to a two part:
1) How can i transfer the apps from my broken phone to my new replacement keeping in mind they have to come from the PHONe not the play store and
2) If i take the mother board from my broken phone and put it in the new phone, will there be any conflicts, will it work, and is there any way the store will know when I return the broken phone with the new board in it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I wouldn't recommend swapping out the system board for a few apps. It might be possible, but these devices don't come apart easily and you're risking a $500+ device for an app. What do you mean by serialized? If you got the app from the play store in the first place, it will be recovered on your new phone once you log in with your Google account. Any progress in a game will be lost. If the apps were sideloaded and you're not rooted? There's probably no way to recover the apps, though if sideloaded may still have the .apk on the sd card.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't recommend swapping out the system board for a few apps. It might be possible, but these devices don't come apart easily and you're risking a $500+ device for an app. What do you mean by serialized? If you got the app from the play store in the first place, it will be recovered on your new phone once you log in with your Google account. Any progress in a game will be lost. If the apps were sideloaded and you're not rooted? There's probably no way to recover the apps, though if sideloaded may still have the .apk on the sd card.

You could potentially download an app like DataSync and put the saved data from the apps or games on Dropbox and then reload them on the device.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
as a side note, I work for the Military in communications repair. I have pulled these apart before and have a full ESD workstation on a 50Mohm tile floor, so I'm not worried about the physical aspect of opening it

Well then, hardware and skill wise, I can't see a problem. A couple of issues as i see it. You off course are voiding the warranty which may be apparent if they look. Also, if you're sending back a device and they repair the screen, the phone will have a different imei and serial # than the one they're expecting, which could be a issue. The biggie here is that what you're potentially planning to do is FRAUD! The intent isn't bad IMO, but it would be fraud none the less.

Is there no recourse with serialized apps in case there's hardware failure? Certainly, if there isn't I would avoid buying such apps or games in the future. Tying in a app to a particular piece of hardware so that you loose the app purchase if said hardware is lost. sold or damaged is a lousy policy IMO

Upvote 0
Certain features on my Galaxy note don't work any more as they got cooked when the tech re-soldered a new sim tray onto the motherboard. I have purchased a new motherboard from a Chinese manufacturer. Does it come with its own imei number? Do I have to report this new number to anybody? I have no problems with reporting the new number as I am not claiming anything on my insurance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones