1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can the phone ringing splash screen (that dull green android) be changed?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by 6StringDave, Sep 15, 2011.

1. 6StringDave

6StringDave Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    My Incredible is my very first smart phone. Before I made the transition, I used an Ericsson music slider, which supported themes, and free software enabled me to create my own fairly easily. Working with GIMP, I created custom highlights, animated bullet pointers, and screen backgrounds, which were then used to create new themes for that phone. The satisfaction from that made it much easier for me to spend so much time scrolling through menus just to access the simplest functions.

Since I made the switch, I have found that Android themes depend on the support of your home screen developer, and anyway I have found less appeal in them where it's icon-based navigation - especially when they get really cute and tweak your icons (so that they look too much the same to tell them apart, as well as hard on the eyes). Anyway, I spent too much time looking for perfect home screen functionality to that there hasn't been time to look into theme creation, even if I wanted to.

However, I use wallpaper changers which don't depend on the home screen developer, and so I'm wondering if the one thing which I miss being able to change on my older, simpler phone is possible with Incredible. I would like to change the splash screen which comes up when my phone is ringing. I would like to replace that dim-looking green android with, say, an image of Darth Vader, or of the android riding a lightning bolt (with animated smoke rising off it's green shell, as it turns somewhat darker):D Much as I love Android, there's not a creepier sight than an image which suggests that some damned robot is making phone calls to you, or worse, controlling your life. An upgrade on this idea would be to enable customization of the phone-ringing screen for your family and friends, depending on who's calling. It would really lift my mood if I could take back my control of this. Is there software available for this, for rooted or not rooted?

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You mean the picture? The android robot is a "stand-in" if you dont have photos. For example, in my phonebook, Alex has a contact picture assigned. If Alex calls, I see her picture on the splash screen. Just add pictures to your contacts and you wont see the android robot again.

3. Chuck O. Jones

None

Sep 4, 2011
    If it's from referrals new subscribers get 5,5GB free on registration with SugarSync, and 2,25GB with DropBox.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    They'll find out anyway. LOL.

Back to the OP. I forgot to mention, that to change it completely, you need a rooted phone and you will have to edit the phone.apk file. At least thats what I remember encountering when I did a Google search. You may want to talk to the people at XDA developers forum on this kind of stuff.

6StringDave likes this.
  5. 6StringDave

None

Aug 3, 2011
    Don't know why I didn't think of that, duhhhh!

But I probably will see it again when I get calls not from contacts. I don't have photos of all of them (I use my cell phone for all of my business, no landline). Can I replace the stand-in? For those who I really don't want to hear from, an alternate stand-in as well?

6. Chuck O. Jones

None

Sep 4, 2011
    The standard smartphone user will also find out that is waaayy too involved for them.

7. 6StringDave

None

Aug 3, 2011
    I truly hope you aren't implying that the smart phone is too smart for most of it's users!
    Anyway, there were standard non-coding dumb-phone users who tinkered with their themes, and who's to decide what's too involved for them?

8. 6StringDave

None

Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks!

It does sound a little involved, but I learn things that way. I am still willing to give it a try when I find the time.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Its bit more involved that just theming. You basically have to re-code parts of the phone application itself, so you'd have to learn a bit of developer coding language AFAIK.