1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Can the Photon roam on GSM carriers networks in the USA?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by braxx, Jul 31, 2011.

1. braxx

braxx Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Seeing as the Photon has quad band ability. Can/will it be able to roam on a GSM network in the USA?

I currently have a EVO4G and there is a dead spot at my property in the country and my phone wont work very well at all. I even tried the verizon PRL and it was no better. A friend came out to my property and his phone on AT&T worked fine.

If the Photon will roam on to AT&T's network, that would be awesome.

Advertisement

2. KnowProblem

KnowProblem Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I would be absolutely shocked if it roamed on AT&T. You might be able to do emergency calls on it on AT&T or TMO while in GSM mode though.

Another question is whether it will operate on T-Mobile or AT&T with one of those companies' SIMs in it. I am going to try that when I get the phone later this week. Note that it is not compatible with T-Mobile's 3G/4G but should work ok on AT&T's 3G (assuming it is allowed to work with one of their SIMs).

3. TigerC10

TigerC10 Member

May 28, 2011
    Photon roams on GSM but ONLY FOR PHONE CALLS. You can't "data-roam" on the GSM frequencies.

4. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    The way Sprint setup their world phones before (TP2) was that they would NOT use domestic GSM carriers.

You could however, use any foreign GSM network without a radio unlock.

Eventually once the TP2 radio was "cracked" you could run a full "unlock" on it and roam on domestic GSM networks.

5. KnowProblem

KnowProblem Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Incorrect. This phone can data roam on GSM 2G data (EDGE) as well as GSM 3G (aka UMTS/WCDMA/HSPA).