1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can the S3 do this?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by homey, Aug 18, 2012.

1. homey

homey Well-Known Member

I just got an S3 a couple of days ago so I'm still poking it around wondering what it can do. I've noticed that despite all the fab stuff it does, I can't find any simple way of just listing all my communication (emails, calls & texts) with a particular contact. I know that my Lumia 800 does this easily and I'm pretty sure most HTC Sense versions do it but is there an equivalent on the S3?I can search emails to the contact in the email app, texts in the messaging app and call history in the phone app but where can I see all this info on one screen?

Also, is there a widget that displays texts?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EpicMindWarp

EpicMindWarp Well-Known Member

I don't think theres a stock function that amalgamates everything, however there very well might be one in the play store - unfortunately I don't know of any but try looking there.

I personally use ExDialer as a replacement for the stock phone dialer, and GoSMS pro as a replacement for the stock messaging - and I'm happy with both - but neither does everything that you have asked for but ExDialer does happily enough keep a comprehensive track of the calls made.

As for a widget for texts, try installing GoSMS pro, I'm sure a widget comes with it for such a purpose.

3. homey

homey Well-Known Member

Thx. I already downloaded those and they don't provide the functionality as you rightly say. It's strange because I'm pretty sure that my very old Galaxy S used to do just this in one of the tabs in the contact app. I'm not sure why they dropped it on the S3!I guess no one used to use it anyway!

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

What if you press the MEnu button and choose Hostory when looking at a contact's details? in the Contacts app?

I just tested this and it shows texts, emails and calls.

SUroot likes this.
  5. homey

homey Well-Known Member

No, I tried that a few hours ago and all it does is to show texts and calls. No emails though.I really need the email option because most of my business conversations seem to be getting conducted through primarily texts and emails. On my Lumia, you can read the flow of the conversation from text to email and back again and I really am lost without this because I have to keep searching what was said and when on the Galaxy.
    I really, really thought that the S3 would do this as it does everything else!
    Guess I should have checked first...

6. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

Mine shows emails.

Go to the play store and I bet you will find what you need.

EDIT: Smartr Contacts may be what you are looking for.

P.S. It is generally a good idea to check if a phone has a function if you have very specific needs.

7. homey

homey Well-Known Member

Can anyone else please confirm that their contact history shows email too?
    I'm using the gmail app as my email app. Do you think that the emails only show up of the Samsung app is used?

8. Pothers

Pothers Well-Known Member

I've just checked and it's not showing email. I also use the gmail app so maybe it only shows if you use the stock email client

9. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

I can confirm exchange history using the samsung email client is definitely shown however Gmail is not

10. homey

homey Well-Known Member

Ok, thats great news, thanks!
    Is there any way to use my gmail Contact & Cals but only use Exchange for emails? (not sure why but all my contacts are in Google and very few in Exchange!)

I've setup selective syncing :

Exchange : email only
    Google: contact, sync, albums etc etc

but for some reason, the emails still don't appear in the lists.

Is there a better way? (sorry, bit new to all this)

11. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

The google contact would need to be linked to the exchange contact so you need to sync exchange contacts too.

12. homey

homey Well-Known Member

Thanks, is there an easy way to synchronise my gmail contacts with exchange contacts?
    I'm sorry for all these question!

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews