Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JAy3001, Jul 23, 2012.
As the title states.. Can this phone be rooted?
OK, so from what I have found out so far is that this phone has a locked bootloader atm. So all are waiting for ICS to land, which is coming in late August. So hopefully after that it will be able to be rooted.
Yes, mine's been rooted for about a week or so now. You need to unlock the bootloader first then flash a rom and kernel after.
It took me hours and hours of trial and error and was a complete ballache but it is doable. I was going to write a guide on how I managed it but then I thought, where's the fun in that, i want others to suffer what I went through...
...then i found this guide which was written 3 days ago.
Main: [Guide]Unlocking bootloader and rooting Xperia U wilth custom rom and Kernal
If anyone get's stuck at any point let me know and I'll see if I can help.
The last bit of the guide, flashing the kernel may not work for you and you may get the message ''cannot load elf kernel''. If so you need to use flashtool to flash the kernel:-
1. Enter fastboot mode on phone (plug usb and press volume up whilst phone is off)
2. Open flashtool and click flash icon (lightning symbol), select fastboot mode.
3. Click the 'Select Kernel to Flash' tab.
4. Search for folder where the kernel.elf file is, the file didn't show up for me but keep the location open.
5. Type the name of the kernel as the file name (should be U-DooMLoRD-AdvStkKernel-v01-test1.elf) then your phone should have root access.