• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can we clear the new rooting air?

The_Horak

May 14, 2011
Hey Community, Maybe we can work on this together. There are multiple ways to root this phone. Some methods provide S-Off, while some do not. Some are more simple-sounding, some sound more complex. I am one of the people that could use some explaining, haha. So, I will start with what I know:

- HTC's Unlockable Bootloader Method- Allows the user to install a custom recovery and Superuser. This gives the freedom to remove bloatware, use apps that require root (Titanium Backup and the like), and flash roms that use the phone's stock Radio AND Kernal. Because this root method leaves S-On, it DOES NOT allow the user to flash Kernals or Radios.

That is all I know, haha. I Have read the How To Root sticky, but that says to downgrade to 2.3.3 first. It seems there are mothods, though, that do not require this, but I may be wrong. The Revolutionary method, for one, seems to give S-Off without having to downgrade. also, there is the AlphaRevX method (which became Revolutionary).

I just was hoping that those with experience with these and other methods can chime in to say (1) what method they used, (2) what 'prep work' was needed (PC software, files, downgrading), and (3) what the method achieved (what you can and cannot do now, and how permanent the root is).

It just seems like those stickies on rooting may need updating, but I'm probably wrong. :eek:

I used HTC's unlock method to unlock the bootloader and then AgalychnisCallidryas' method to install CWM and Superuser. I did this on a fully up to date phone that was running GB 2.3.4 and hboot .98. before doing that, I tried downgrading to GB 2.3.3 and hboot .97, but could never get that to work. According to some of the things I've read, since the most recent OTA people are having trouble downgrading. I've never tried the Revolutionary method to get to s-off.

As far as software goes, if you use HTC's method you need HTC drivers, Android-SDK, and Java Runtime Environment. Links to all those are available on HTC's Dev website. AgalychnisCallidryas' post has links to CWM and SU.

As far as results. My boot loader is unlocked and I can use CWM and have installed SU and Titanium backup. However, my phone is still s-on and I have not attempted to flash any new ROM's or kernals. And so far HTC has not pushed any OTA's.

AgalychnisCallidryas' post:
[GUIDE] Noob's Guide #6: I just HTC Unlocked, what now? - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I did this on a fully up to date phone that was running GB 2.3.4 and hboot .98. before doing that, I tried downgrading to GB 2.3.3 and hboot .97, but could never get that to work. According to some of the things I've read, since the most recent OTA people are having trouble downgrading. I've never tried the Revolutionary method to get to s-off.

Thanks for the response. I have also read about downgrading issues. Revolutionary DOES require the downgrade, as do almost all other methods, so if you can't downgrade, it seems like HTC Dev is the only option right now.

Are there other experienced ones who can help?

Upvote 0
Horak, here's an update to my situation.

I just used attn1's downgrade utility on my phone. I relocked the bootloader per HTC's instructions before running attn1's script.

Here is the link the attn1's method: [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers

Also, check out this youtube clip for step by step guide to downgrading: How to Downgrade 2.3.4 - HTC Droid Incredible 2 - YouTube

I used the Revolutionary method and my phone is now s-off.

This is another very helpful clip I used to run Revolutionary after downgrading: How to Root - HTC Droid Incredible 2 - YouTube

Some people have said they had issues with the CWM auto install and true enough, in that video the guy has issues. When the Revolutionary program asks if you want to install CWM reply with an UPPER CASE Y. It seems like replying with a lower case y leads to issues.

Good luck!

Reactions: lostlaker24
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones