1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can We Cut to the Chase? (1.6 -> 2.?)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kozxp10, May 25, 2011.

1. kozxp10

kozxp10 Lurker

I have read all the forum replies regarding updating the x10a from 1.6 to 2.1. Give me a break. And, there are some of us that are LOYAL to AT&T (like myself) and I do not want to do anything to trash my good standing.
    SO, I ask, what are the steps involved in updating from 1.6 AT&T to 2.1?? I read some of the newbie answers and brain surgery might be easier. I need my phone, and for the 3 days I have had it, I have no problem with 1.6...with the exception of not being able to play my MLBTV.com subscription on my x10a since MLBTV.com requires 2.1. I have downloaded apps, surfed the web, taken pictures, texted and all works fast and fine. Why should I upgrade to 2.1 with the potential of screwing up my phone (like I have read happens, in many posts)?????:mad:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Android Enthusiast

Are you sure AT&T released version 2.1? I get conflicting info about this.

If they did, just install PC Companion and you'll get the latest update.

3. highaltitude

highaltitude Well-Known Member

4. beau420

beau420 Android Expert

It is nearly impossible to 'brick' your phone. I am not even sure if there is a way for your cell phone provider to identify what version of Android you have installed on the phone. And it's not like AT&T hates Android 2.1....they just have Okayed the 2.1 on their x10 phones for some reason. Most likely because some other cell phone company paid them a ton of money to delay the 2.1 push so they can advertise a bunch of new phones.

It is pretty riddiculous they haven't provided 2.1 for their x10 customers. Maybe they are hoping that some people will upgrade to another phone if they really care about it...in turn paying AT&T more....who knows.

Anyways...got a little off track.

First time I tried to read through a bunch of convoluted threads on multiple forums it took me about 2 hours to flash the phone.

But the second time, it took me 10 minutes. Flashed and updated my buddies in 10 minutes.

Patience is key...and I have never read about anyone bricking their phones when trying to flash and upgrade on this forum in the past 5 months.

Main reason to upgrade is really just the apps. Some things look a little better, things are a little smoother (after a few hours...takes a while for it to cache everything perfectly after every major upgrade)

There are other things like:

* Sync: Expanded Account sync. Multiple accounts can be added to a device for email and contact synchronization
    * Email: Exchange support, Combined inbox to browse email from multiple accounts in one page.
    * Bluetooth: 2.1 support
    * Contacts: Tap a contact photo and select to call, SMS, or email the person.
    * Messaging: Search all saved SMS and MMS messages. Auto delete oldest messages in a conversation when a defined limit is reached.
    * Camera: Flash support, Digital zoom, Scene mode, White balance, Color effect, Macro focus
    * Virtual keyboard: Improved typing speed, smarter dictionary learns from word usage and includes contact names as suggestions.
    * Browser: Refreshed UI, Bookmark thumbnails, Double-tap zoom, Support for HTML5
    * Calendar: Agenda view enhanced, Attending status for each invitee, Invite new guests to events.
    * System: Optimized hardware speed, Revamped UI
    * Display: Support for more screen sizes and resolutions, Better contrast ratio
    * Maps: Improved Google Maps 3.1.2
    * MotionEvent class enhanced to track multi-touch events
    * Live Wallpapers: Home screen background images can be animated to show movement

If you are happy with 1.6...stick with it...if you get tired of it, you can always think about upgrading to 2.1

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews