1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Can we test if data is stored?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by StevenHu, Mar 4, 2011.

1. StevenHu

StevenHu Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    Male
    Webmaster
    Orange County
    It's nice to be able to test the program on a device via USB; however, how can we test whether the data is persistent? When testing, the data is never transferred to or stored on the device, right? How is data persistence tested?

By data persistence, I mean you can enter info on the page, shut off the device, then open the program, and find the info still on the page. In this case, a Javascript text field.

Thanks!
    Steve

Advertisement

2. JamTheMan

JamTheMan Well-Known Member
    None

When you test it on the device the program is actually installed like any other program! So you could start it up any time, plugged in or not! And files added to e.g. the SD card from the app will actually be there...

If you are developing in Eclipse the DDMS view will also let you explore the contents of the device/emulator tou are testing on, so you can see if stuff is saved in the right database etc...

3. StevenHu

StevenHu Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    Male
    Webmaster
    Orange County
    I don't remember seeing any icons left behind after installing the device (as proof it was left behind). I'll have to check again. I'm using a friend's device, so I'll check this when I can.

When they are loaded on a device for testing, then they are left behind always, until deleted manually? I know that for the iPhone, they only last 90 days.

4. JamTheMan

JamTheMan Well-Known Member
    None

Well... I don't know if there is some kind of time limit for the installs that are made during debug, but I am sitting with my phone in my hand with all the apps I have debugged and no un-installed again available for use, like any other app...

It doesn't automatically go onto your home screens, but you should be able to find all of them in the launcher...

StevenHu likes this.