• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can you calibrate the NC screen?

Jerry-rigged

Android Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2010
Texas
Howdy gang-

Does anyone know if you can calibrate the touchscreen? I am having issues with apps that have icons in the extreme top right corner of the screen - this corner does not seem to want to "see" touches. The Nook for andorid app has the search icon in this corner, and I can't select it at all (if I want to search for a nook book, I have to re-boot to NC 1.2, find and buy the book, the reboot to CM7) Other apps also have icons in this corner of the screen that won't work, so I know it is not a Nook app issue, but a hardware issue...

Anyone know how to calibrate the touchscreen?

Thanks-
Jerry

I wouldn't expect the recalibrate to fix that particular problem, it didn't on mine. I could rarely get that tiny little icon up in the corner of the Nook app to respond.
Since I don't buy B&N books that's not really a problem for me, I use a different reader.
However, maybe nightly 171 would fix the problem. See Colchiro's post here
http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-...htly-builds-custom-kernels-3.html#post3127066

Reactions: gsutton
Upvote 0
I have had the same issues with two separate Nook Colors, with the Nook Reader software. Also, in some games, the touch is off by about 1/4 inch. I have tp poke high and right to hit targets. I am running CM7 nightlies. I have also had screen protectors on both units.

Running multitouch diagnostics, it seems accurate. Also, setting a higher screen dpi seems to alleviate the problem. I have no problems hitting small keyboard and nav buttons. It seems to be worse with some programs, though always an issue at the top-right of the screen in either orientation.

Reactions: gsutton
Upvote 0
With Root Explorer (or a similar app)...

• Create a backup in recovery, in case you screw up. :D
  • Open Root Explorer... find system folder and tap it, change the folder to read/write by tapping the [Mount R/W] button at the top.
  • Find build.prop and long-press it to bring up a menu. Choose "open in Text Editor"
  • Find ro.sf.lcd_density. It should be 161, change it to 160. (It'll be in the bottom section.)
  • Press menu button, choose, "save and exit".
  • Change permission back to read/only
  • Reboot.

Changing to a number greater than 240 can cause it to not be bootable. :D

Upvote 0
I installed and ran the "calibrate" app. Here is what happened.

• app screen appears with a START button
  • pressed the start button
  • ... screen goes black
  • ... Nook Color reboot

I have no way to know if the app simply crashed and forced a restart. There are no "touch this cross-hair" displays or similar, and no other indication that anything did or didn't happen.

My personal "benchmark" is the search spy-glass in the top, right corner of the Market screen. I need to work at getting that icon press to register and open the text input box.

Cheers,
~~~ 0;-Dan

Upvote 0
That's exactly what it's supposed to do, but you should clean your screen with a microfiber cloth first.

You're thinking of a different type of calibration. This one is to set the sensitivity, not accuracy.

If it was a little friendlier, it would say that it's going to reboot at finish, then throw it on the screen before it does it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones