• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you change what phone number is passed over Caller ID?

Crowsie

Lurker
Jun 2, 2011
Here is my scenario.
I do not want to have two separate phones.
My android phone has a MN phone number that I need to keep.
My new job requires that I have a CA phone number.
I can hard forward the CA phone number to my MN phone....but....when I'm making outbound calls for work I need the CA number to be passed over the Caller ID so my customers see the CA number.
Conversely, I want the MN number to passed when I make outbound calls in MN.

Is there an app/program that will allow me to toggle which number is passed via Caller ID when I make outbound calls?

Is there a different solution?

Thanks!

So....I keep my MN number on my android, then use my existing CA number as my Google Voice number. Then..when I need to make the outbound calls to CA I do that via Google Voice...correct???
What kind of Verizon service do I need to maintain on my CA number if I'm going to be running it through Google Voice?

Upvote 0
So....I keep my MN number on my android, then use my existing CA number as my Google Voice number. Then..when I need to make the outbound calls to CA I do that via Google Voice...correct???
What kind of Verizon service do I need to maintain on my CA number if I'm going to be running it through Google Voice?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Is your current cell phone number your MN or CA number? You don't have to have any special kind of service, google voice is basically a call forwarding service

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you are asking. Is your current cell phone number your MN or CA number? You don't have to have any special kind of service, google voice is basically a call forwarding service

My current cell phone is a T Mobile MN number. My new work number is an existing CA Sprint number that my employer wants me to take over.
I want to move all service to Verizon (corporate discount).
How do I retain both the MN and CA numbers, to be used in conjunction with Google voice??

Upvote 0
Doesn't really matter. It just needs to be able to make/receive calls.

How do I retain both the MN and CA numbers, to be used in conjunction with Google voice??
The CA number would have to be ported to GV. You might want to verify that the account can be closed since porting will cancel that account.

If you could use a new CA number then you could create your GV account with the new number and not have to worry about it.

Goodness. What does Google Voice not do? Love it.
End-to-end VOIP though it's a common mistaken assumption that it does.

Upvote 0
Goodness. What does Google Voice not do? Love it.

I haven't figured out how to get GV to make my morning coffee yet :D

My current cell phone is a T Mobile MN number. My new work number is an existing CA Sprint number that my employer wants me to take over.
I want to move all service to Verizon (corporate discount).

Port your CA number to Google Voice when you sign up, port your MN number to Verizon when you switch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones