1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can you charge the Note with a Galaxy Tab charger?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by yegon, Apr 23, 2012.

1. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member

I don't know the specs for the Tab charger, but I wondered if you can do this, like you can charge an iPhone with an iPad charger. The latter option charges the iPhone much faster you see.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast

I am not familiar with Samsung tablets, but most recent mobile phones now use the same standardised USB data and power connector (apart from Apple!) and my Archos Android tablet is the same. My tablet's charging lead is wired to deliver more current than a standard USB lead and there is a tag on the lead warning that using another lead could result in slower charging. It's the same with my HTC Desire's charger and lead. I would expect the charger and lead for the Note to be the same. So I doubt there would be any advantage in using a Tab charger on your Note. But I'm only guessing!

Ian

3. johnb41

johnb41 Well-Known Member

I would assume it's safe. I think the phone might even charge faster with the Note charger. This is the case with my iPad charger and my wife's iPhone... faster charging using the iPad charger cable, and it's apparently safe to do.

4. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. Wouldn't mind a spare charger for it anyway, if I can get definite confirmation it works okay, I'll order a tab charger.

5. Patanjali

Patanjali Lurker

The Note uses the standard microUSB connector that has been around for a couple of years on HTCs et al. The Note doesn't require a high-current USB connection.

The Tab uses the proprietory Samsung 30pin? connector. I don't know if it benefits from a high-power USB outlet.

6. colnago

colnago Android Expert

The Tab's plug can be used, however the proprietary USB-to-Tab cable would need to be swapped for a USB-to-Micro USB cable, for connection to the Note. Also, the Note's charger is rated @ ~1A, where the Tab is @ 2.1A. While the Tab's charger will charge the Note faster, general consensus is that it would either cause quicker discharge, and or reduce the life of the battery...over repeated "accelerated charging cycles".

7. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member

Makes sense, I won't bother with trying it then. I'm just a little spoiled using the iPad charger on the iPhone, 0-80% in 60 minutes!

8. poolshark

poolshark Newbie

I was also told that if you do the reverse (Note's weaker charger used on the Tab), the slower charging will keep the Tab's battery in better shape. True?

9. colnago

colnago Android Expert

It's one generally accepted school of thought. I can't say from experience. The only consistency I've seen is with fully charging, and then fully discharging new batteries, both OEM and 3rd party extended, and seeing increased battery life after the first few cycles.

Samsung Galaxy Note Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note release date was January 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 2500mAh battery.

January 2012
Release Date
Reviews