• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you disable Voice Search?

jeremytanner

Jul 21, 2010
Texas
Okay, I've done lots of searching and can't find a way to disable voice search. I know, I know, everyone else in the world seems to want it. But I don't use it, have no reason to use it, and it takes up memory. I've been to the (lack of) settings and can't find anything.

I am rooted, but not familiar enough with it to know how to remove the application manually.

Using a task killer works for a few minutes, but it takes less than 5 minutes to return on its own.

Any thoughts? :)

Okay, I've done lots of searching and can't find a way to disable voice search. I know, I know, everyone else in the world seems to want it. But I don't use it, have no reason to use it, and it takes up memory. I've been to the (lack of) settings and can't find anything.

I am rooted, but not familiar enough with it to know how to remove the application manually.

Using a task killer works for a few minutes, but it takes less than 5 minutes to return on its own.

Any thoughts? :)

It almost never shows up idling on mine.

If you use the phone's search at all, it will load voice search in the background; if you have the search widget up it will keep the voice search loaded. This is done by OS design in case a person wants use the voice search (or any app the it "thinks" you'll need) so it will open quickly.

For what your looking to do, since your rooted, you can "freeze" apps. Freezing is sometimes preferred over uninstalling apps, in case something is linked to the unwanted app and you can easily unfreeze the app, else you might get errors/glitches/crashed/etc as it tries to run an associated app thats not there. So this may cause the search app to fc if you press the voice search by accident.

The crowd fav for freezing seems to be titanium backup, but there are a few apps in the market specifically for freezing apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones