1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Can you explain why OEMs have such a ' problem ' getting updates out?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Zoltartheferret, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Zoltartheferret

None

Sep 13, 2016
    Male
    We've all argued over this time and time again." My phone failed to receive the latest version of Android and there's no reason why ".

But why is the reason?
    There must be some logical explanation as to why some devices receive updates and others and left in the dust.
    Here's my question.

I'm not an Android dev or a software engineer, but I know how operating systems work and i know what is required to make a piece of software run on a machine. The first thing that is required are compatible drivers.
    It is one thing to say So and so phone will not receive Android 6.0/7.0 BECAUSE the system chipset is not compatible with the new drivers and APIs.
    But how many phones will get updated with a specific SoC, while an nearly identical one with the SAME SOC! will not.

If all of the core logic of a smartphone is on the SoC. Including, CPU, GPU, DSP, radio, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, camera, audio, USB etc etc is all part of the chipset, then what is the problem?
    Let's say I have an LG blahblah with a Qualcomm snapdragon 410 processor. All of the device drivers are made by Qualcomm.
    there is no reason why if my LG blahblah can run Android 6.0.1 with that Qualcomm processor, then another phone let's say Samsung jibberjaw with that same Snapdragon 410 chip shouldn't run it as well?
    Is it really that some devices aren't compatible or is it more like the OEM is lazy and uncaring and they're purposely preventing me from having my update?

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Both probably...and add carriers as well, because Verizon or whatever has to put their stuff in as well.

Yeh, an LG or a Samsung might indeed use the same whatever Snapdragon SoC, but of course it's all the other bits that go together to make a phone, like screen, digitizer, radios, camera, etc. etc, which all requires specific support in the OS.

AZgl1500 and scary alien like this.
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    #3 scary alien, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    hey!

if they keep updating my S5 phones, there won't be any need to ever replace them.....
    short of one of them physically breaking...

same for my Note 4, it works just fine, does what I want, so why should I spend almost a $1000 bux to replace it with the newest toy from Disney Land?