1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Can you force upgrade to 2.2.1 with Kies v2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mark_H, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Mark_H

Mark_H Member

As per the title really.

I have the latest version of Kies (v2) installed and I don't believe that I can use registry patcher as it only seems to work with ...102. I have downloaded a version of 102 on another PC, but there seems to be a problem with some file constantly trying to write to disk. However, eventually that ceases and then I tried patcher (XEU) with no luck.

So, I seem to be stuck on 2.2

I previously removed OCLF (as it is no longer supported) and un-rooted the phone. To be honest I just want a phone that does what it supposed to and not have to mess around with rooting/un-rooting the phone every time a new release of firmware is out.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Mark

Advertisement

2. Adonai-

Adonai- Lurker

At this point...the people at XDA haven't been able to trick Kies 2.0 into letting you update, and the older versions of Kies won't let you update your phone anymore.
    Looks like at this stage the only way to update is the old fashioned way...flashing using Odin etc. You will need root for this.
    Alternately, you could wait until Kies is cracked open, but that could be a while...

Mark_H likes this.
  3. Mark_H

Mark_H Member

So it looks like I have to go down the route of Odin.

Is there a definitive guide to upgrading the firmware using Odin. I have searched and found numerous guides, but would feel happier if someone can point me in the right direction.

So uf I use "superoneclick" to root that is fine?

Also, I read somewhere that if you ugrade your firmware using Odin you lose all your applications...?

Thanks.

4. pietjuhhh1990

pietjuhhh1990 Well-Known Member

You need to flash the phone to update the firmware with Odin so you indeed will lose all your apps and settings.

5. Mark_H

Mark_H Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: - So do i just re-download them all again? Is there any advice as to what i need to do in terms of backups etc.

6. Aravindan

Aravindan Member

Buy Titanium backup once you root and that should take care of the apps and settings...

7. talktoanil

talktoanil Well-Known Member

You dont need to follow that complicated process. Follow below process.

1. I assume that your phone is virgin(using official rom) and not ****ed up (i.e rooted , applied lagfix bla bla)

If so then read below, else unroot and remove lagfix and follow below process.

1. Download latest European firmware 2.2.1 from this site
    Login - News - www.SamFirmware.com
    as of now its I9000XWJS5 ##

2. Download ODIN 1.3 and Galaxy S / .PIT File: DOWNLOAD. (803) from above link. (you need to scroll at bottom)

3. Now unzip that 2.2.1 ROM. You will see 3 files , PDA MODEM and CSC.

4. Remove battery, SIM card , external memory card from phone.

5. Press Vol Down + Power + Home Key (all at same time). Now release all keys once you see a yellow screen. Its called download mode.

6. Now connect data cable to phone and USB.

7. Start ODIN 1.3 , and check if you see yellow below "ID:COM" section. It means that your phone is detected by ODIN.

8. Now make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT Ticked, "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" is ticked.

9. from step 3 , you have got 3 files. Click PIT and select "803.PIT" file you downlaoded.
    Click CSC and select file having "CSC" in filename from above step 3 ZIP file
    Click PHONE and select file having "MODEM" in filename from above step 3 ZIP file
    Click PDA and select the remaining file which we have not yet used from zip file.

10. Now click START and dont touch the phone(it will auto-reboot) unless you see Samsung home lock screen.

Bitch just got served :p and you are on Froyo 2.2.1

Now when Samsung releases official 2.2.1 for India , you need to download I9000DDJG4 # and 512.PIT file and flash the phone. This I9000DDJG4 has only 1 file. In ODIN , Click PDA and select that 1 file we just got from I9000DDJG4 ROM ZIP.
    Now , make sure you tick Re-Partition and 2 ticks as said above.

This way you will be back on 2.1 and then can connect to KIES and get directly 2.2.1

if you have any questions post it here.

Here i gave eg of India, you can replace it with any other country.

Mark_H likes this.
  8. Mark_H

Mark_H Member

Top man - many thanks!!

What's the deal with re-partition - when should it be/not ticked?