1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can you have multiple recoveries?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by libgeek, Jul 13, 2013.

1. libgeek

libgeek Lurker
    None

Dec 7, 2011
    This might be a stupid question, and my apologies if it is, but I'm getting different information from my device and from what I've been reading online. I've got Clockwork Rom Manager installed on my Asus Transformer TF300T. While trying to fix an issue booting into recovery (resolved), I noticed that Clockwork Rom Manager seemed to be telling me that I had at least three recoveries installed: CWM 3.x, CWM 2.x, and TWRP.

I did flash CWM and TWRP at separate times while trying to resolve the boot issue. My question is: is it possible to have more than one recovery actually available at the same time? I'm booting successfully into TWRP v2.6.0.0. Attempts to boot into either of the CWM versions don't work. The system freezes and I have to reboot. Everything I've read about removing a recovery involved simply flashing a new recovery over it, which is what I thought I had been doing, but Rom Manager makes it seem like these are installed side-by-side now.

I'm not a complete newbie to flashing, partitions, etc. I assumed that booting to recovery meant booting into a stripped down OS that allowed one to make changes to the main OS. I've dual-booted in linux enough times to get that concept. Am I way off? Are multiple "recoveries" actually installed on my system or is CWM Rom Manager just seeing something leftover from previous flashes? Or am I reading way too much into this, and Rom Manager gives the same three choices to everyone and assumes the user knows which they have?

This is more to satisfy my curiosity than anything. As I stated earlier, my actual problem has been resolved, I'm just trying to understand the processes going on here.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to set me straight on this,
    Mark

Advertisement

2. bruce73

bruce73 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The recovery is installed to its own partition so, yeah, you can only have one. I don't use ROM Manager, and I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds as if it's asking you which recovery is installed so it knows what script to send. Is there no option to set the recovery you're using so you don't have to specify each time (I think Goo Manager does this)?

funkylogik likes this.
  3. libgeek

libgeek Lurker
    None

Dec 7, 2011
    It does remember your choice, but since I'd already installed and re-installed recoveries, it wasn't clear to me if ROM Manager was asking which I had installed, or asking me to pick which one I wanted to use from those it found on the device. It's been a while since I used ROM Manager, and at that time I guess it only supported CWM Recovery, so there was no choice involved. Thanks for the clarification.