• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can you just leave the battery charging past full or is that bad for it?

The real problem is that the notice pops up and it stops accepting charge before it's truly reached 100% most of the time... There have been a few posts regarding recalibrating the battery and/or monitoring it, all are worth checking out if you're interested.

I, personally, leave mine plugged in until I feel like using it. It would be nice if we could just turn that notification off completely.

Upvote 0
The real problem is that the notice pops up and it stops accepting charge before it's truly reached 100% most of the time... There have been a few posts regarding recalibrating the battery and/or monitoring it, all are worth checking out if you're interested.

I, personally, leave mine plugged in until I feel like using it. It would be nice if we could just turn that notification off completely.
i think the notification pops up and it stops charging, then once it drops 3% or so it starts again to keep from overcharging. i believe that is how it works

Upvote 0
i think the notification pops up and it stops charging, then once it drops 3% or so it starts again to keep from overcharging. i believe that is how it works

That makes sense, I just dislike the fact that If I unplug it right when that notification pops up, it goes from "Fully Charged" to "97%" immediately...

Oh, and GO HOGS, BTW. =)

Upvote 0
Shark, most consumer electronics are designed for "overnight" charging and the charger is matched to the battery capacity, so that it can be left on 'float" charge indefinitely with no harm.

The better stuff, going back at least a decade, uses "smart" chargers that also stop charging when the battery is full, i.e. genuine Motorola chargers did this for the Startacs and older phones. No-name chargers didn't.

So it shouldn't be any problem for the battery.

OTOH, these phones use lithium batteries and those have been known to overheat and catch fire or explode while charging. Worse problem with no-name Chinese junk, but even brand names like Sony have had problems and recalls. So it is safer FOR YOU to unplug chargers overnight or when you won't be there, just in case.

The fires are rare, but all you need is one to ruin your day.

Upvote 0
OTOH, these phones use lithium batteries and those have been known to overheat and catch fire or explode while charging. Worse problem with no-name Chinese junk, but even brand names like Sony have had problems and recalls. So it is safer FOR YOU to unplug chargers overnight or when you won't be there, just in case.

The fires are rare, but all you need is one to ruin your day.

That would be a lithium polymer battery, not a lithium ion battery. Lithium polymer batteries are still fairly uncommon in consumer products still because of that reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones