• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can you make your device emulate or appear to be a different device?

Sure many websites do act on whatever the browser user agent string is

That's the Chrome user agent string..."R7Plusm" is definitely a phone. :) and the OS is obvious as well.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1.1; R7Plusm Build/LMY47V) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.91 Mobile Safari/537.36

And this is what it shows when "Request desktop site." is checked.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.91 Safari/537.36
Your IP Address is: China

Many sites do act that on for the type of page they send to you, e.g. mobile or full desktop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, as far as websites detecting what device you are using, not sure.
But editing the build.prop can change the way your device appears in the PlayStore at least :p (I remember doing so on my Evo 4g to get Google Wallet to work)
But you have to be rooted to do so, and messing with the build.prop incorrectly can most certainly bork your phone.

Upvote 0
Because having some account recovery issues. The Samsung is able to get on with my password because its a recognized device or browser ( I think it doesn't look much further) . I've lost that phone and Phone number since. So just fishing for some ideas
It's likely authenticating with a browser cookie. Use another browser on the Samsung it probably wouldn't be able to login, because that browser wouldn't have the site's cookie, and neither does the HTC of course. You can't just clone it to another device, because that would completely defeat the purpose of having a trusted device as well as two-factor authentication, like logging in with password and an SMS code to the registered phone number.

If you're actually able to login with the Samsung, you should be able to amend your account security credentials, like phone number, recovery email, or whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because having some account recovery issues. The Samsung is able to get on with my password because its a recognized device or browser ( I think it doesn't look much further) . I've lost that phone and Phone number since. So just fishing for some ideas

If that's the case, it's not about the brand. This is device recognition, not brand recognition. Even if you use another actual Samsung device, you'll still get the same login problems. Basically Facebook can tell if you are usibg your old Samsung and a new Samsung. And it will tell you it doesn't recognize the old Samsung. The best way to fix this is to go on a PC and edit the security settings on Facebook to reflect your new number. Then login using your new phone and just answer the security questions.

Upvote 0
Yeah unfortunately I had enabled login code feature on . So no matter what I need a code from my phone from the code generator to login from any other device. Although I have my actuall Facebook password and email account. Other than that they want me to send a pic I'd and they may look at it in two weeks lol... And are you sure about that? Because I have logged on in the past with a different iPad that I've never used before and it came up as a recognized browser. It was the same gen ect ect. I was hoping I could try emulator my old Samsung ace to see if u got results lol

Upvote 0
I'm more sure of it than your recollection of the iPad thing. I own 3 Samsung devices (Note 2, Galaxy V, and Tab 4). Lucky for you I've never tried logging in to Facebook on my Galaxy V. Tried it just now. It asked for a security code. So yes, even if you manage to make Facebook think you're using a Samsung, you still won't get past the code. I suggest you just do the "submit request to Facebook" procedure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones