• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you merge external 125GB simcard memory with onbaord 8gb memory?

JayF

Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
My son's Samsung J5 only comes with 8GB of onboard memory and even though I put in a 128GB external sim card the phone, thanks to the regular Samsung and Google bloatwear, is constantly getting close to running out of memory (it has over 3.7GB of system memory alone, which can't be touched, let alone the apps which come pre-installed which Mackenzie neither wasn't nor will never use!); I've already uninstalled, disabled, or moved to the sim card everything that I can but even so it's still getting close to the limit.

So I was thinking about trying to 'merge' the sim card and the internal memory so that it was basically all one ..but I'm not even sure that this is possible. So far I've been able to see the memory, as below:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell
shell@j5nlte:/ $ sm list-disks
disk:179,64
shell@j5nlte:/ $ sm list-volumes all
private mounted null
public:179,65 mounted F0E9-334E
emulated mounted null
shell@j5nlte:/ $

If I simply used this line of code:

sm partition F0E9-334E public

Would that make all the memory accessible as one public space, keeping everything that is there intact? Or would I format and destroy everything in a mad scientist/doesn't know what he's doing attempt at bad coding

I seriously doubt it's that simple, or else it would be a widely-known hack.

Google provide a way of doing this, but Samsung remove it from many of their phones so I don't know whether you have the option. Look in the storage menu and see whether you have the option to reformat the card as internal storage. If you do then that is your answer. Just remember that this is a reformatting, so back everything up first, and that the card will no longer be removable (it will be reformatted to the ext4 filesystem and then encrypted, so won't be readable by any other device).

If you don't have the option, the best bet might be to do what we used to do before Android 2.1: root the phone, partition the card (adding a second partition for apps with the ext2, ext3 or ext4 filesystem) then use a script to move apps to this. There is an app called Link2SD which can be used for moving and managing apps on the partition (also sets up the scripts for managing the partition).

Just for clarity, the memory card is "SD", and a SIM card is something completely different. And that 3.7GB "system memory" contains the operating system, the low-level firmware etc as well as all of the pre-installed apps (updates to those apps use user space, as do their data, but if you disable them that deletes all of their updates and data, at which point they are using no space in addition to that allocated to system partitions). This doesn't change the problem at all, just clarifying some of the language. Personally I think that 8GB phones should not have been sold for at least the last 2-3 years - since that total always includes all of the system partitions, and apps get steadily larger (and the conventional "moving" to SD isn't supported by all apps and only moves part of the app anyway), 8GB, which means 4GB available to the user, has been inadequate for years now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones