• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can you overcharge Li-po type batteries? also some questions.

Big Boar

Apr 23, 2016
so im planning to buy Xiomi Mi6 plus and according to its specs, it has Li-po type battery. i have zenfone 3 and it has Li-ion battery and people mentioned that its hard to overcharge Li-ion batteries. is it the same to Li-po? also which of the two batteries is superior and better? or what are the things better at Li-po and things better at Li-ion. thank you!

You can no more overcharge a Li Po than a Li ion. That is to say, both will have charger circuits that protect against this.

There are many articles on the web about this, but to be honest to the end user there's not much difference between a lithium ion battery with a liquid electrolyte and one with a polymer electrolyte (yes, Li-po batteries are a type of Li-ion battery). Polymer type can be made thinner, but cost more. There are differences in stored energy density, but you don't care because the battery is part of the phone (i.e. it doesn't matter to you what fraction of the phone's volume is taken up by the battery). There's no difference on how you use the device as a result of this choice, and you may well have use Li-po before without knowing it. Basically this isn't something that I'd base my choice of phone on.

Reactions: Daniel Fernandes
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones