• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you recommend an app to block unknown calls?

twebb

Lurker
Feb 20, 2012
Howdy,

I've been searching, searching, searching for an app that will work with my LG Optimus S running Android 2.3.3 that will block "unknown" or private calls, but I can't find one that works. If I could find one that blocks calls not in contacts by sending those calls to voicemail, that would be great. I'd be willing to pay for such an app, as long as there was a trial period of some sort so that I could verify that it works. I'm starting to think that the Optimus S has some problem doing something like this.

FYI,

• I've tried "Call Control" and "Mr. Number" apps. Both are supposed to allow calls from my contacts through and send those not in contacts to voicemail, but both blocked my contacts too.
  • I've tried adding a contact named "Unknown" to my contacts. That way I could use the stock android option to send the call directly to voicemail. I went through Google on a PC to make the phone number "Unknown" and synced it with my phone contacts, but that didn't work. I also changed the phone number for the contact "Unknown" to -1, -2, and 0000, but none of these worked either.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can be in advance!

I use the free version of Blacklist

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.baole.app.blacklist

It allows me to block both calls and SMS (or either) from numbers that are not in my contact list. It keeps a log of what it blocks and I can see if it might be a number I am interest in returning the call from or adding to my contacts.

Reactions: cleanmop3
Upvote 0
Hi,I had a lot of credit chasers,unknown friends,and ppl who've called my # wen it belonged to someone else.A simple solution I found to do was to take the few seconds and list watever call that comes in,and put it under "Don't answer" in ur contacts.So wen an unknown call comes,that's what'll happen.Only takes a few seconds to set up.

Upvote 0
You can also add your number to the National Do Not Call List (which is a government site). This will at the very least stop solicitors (but does not legally stop non profits from calling).

https://www.donotcall.gov/

I had my land line number on that list for many years and it worked wonders. Also added my cell number and very seldom, if ever, get solicitors.

Upvote 0
Hi,I had a lot of credit chasers,unknown friends,and ppl who've called my # wen it belonged to someone else.A simple solution I found to do was to take the few seconds and list watever call that comes in,and put it under "Don't answer" in ur contacts.So wen an unknown call comes,that's what'll happen.Only takes a few seconds to set up.

That is what I did prior to Android. I prefer an way to keep my phone from ringing at all and not getting voicemail though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones