1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Can you retain root when upgrading?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by donjuro, Oct 5, 2014.

1. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

One thing I never noticed is SuperSU has an option for trying to retain root while upgrading via ota. Has anyone tried this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mjhealy1978

mjhealy1978 Android Enthusiast

Where do you see that option? I've been trying to fond it but no luck!

3. mjhealy1978

I thought if we took the update while still being rooted we could brick out phones? I'll try the su retain root option but don't wanna brick!

4. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

It's unlikely that upgrading while rooted will brick you. It would just delete the SU apk.

Now if you've made major alterations to the system, that could be a different story.

5. mjhealy1978

I wanna try but it would suck to loose root. I wish I had a computer. I usually have 2, now zero! Anyway I clicked the icon in supersu I'm really debating weather or not to try the update.......

6. whoshotjr2006

whoshotjr2006 Android Enthusiast

if you dont have a computer handy, i wouldnt do it. let someone volunteer who has the tools to fix it if something goes awry.

i wish we could get fakeflash working for cwmod recovery, that would be awesome. then who needs a computer lol.

mjhealy1978 likes this.
  7. phillk6751

phillk6751 Newbie

I've got an idea...why not make a copy of the SU binary with a different name that might even appear as something else to the updater? Then you could execute it after update and have root permissions. The idea with this is that if the update just deletes the su binary, it might not delete it by another name.

8. jessewcharles

jessewcharles Member

I already had it checked.. The result is this: update fails to install, it re-downloads itself every other day... Without my permission. This has resulted in throttling just a few days into my plan.
    Anyway, I've tried unchecking ota keep root, clearing cache, and installing... But it says "unexpected error found in system/app/books.apk"
    I'm just going to do the v4 update with root once I get time to go use a friend's computer.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews