1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Can you Root the New OTA? With Multiple other questions.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by swc2001, Dec 16, 2011.

1. swc2001

swc2001 Android Expert
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Rubber Duck Salesman
    Chattanooga, TN
    Believe it or not I do have alot of Rooting Experience with the LG-ALLY and know that phone inside and out.....and I am pretty good at following instructions and what not. However some things seem a liitle unclear to me at this time.
    First of all I have just purchased the Droid Bionic online via Certified Pre-owned for 79.99

I should be recieving it on Tuesday of Next week.
    I have been reading this Forum feverishly and seem to be getting all kinds of Different Info.

So I am sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else and I just didnt find it.

1: Ok here goes With this new OTA update can you still Root, Or I guess Forever Root? I am not sure the Difference yet. I guess one Root is a Perm while the other is not?

2: Should I do a Nandroid back up first thing I get this thing rooted... Or does somebody have this baby Stock unrooted somwhere That you can flash or has in Nandroid form? If so can that Stock Rooted be Unrooted?

3: in order to get get CloworkMod Recovery it seems that you have to "bootstrap" this device or at least put an app on that is the "bootstrap"? Is this the case?

4: If I wanted to for some weird reason can I take this baby back COMPLETELY STOCK.... Meaning No Root, No Rom, and No Recovery?

Thanks for your time guys I REAAAALLLLY Appreciate it. :D

If you just want to point me to threads thats of course fine.... but would you mind including the important post Numbers....

Again thanks so much. I cant wait to be an active member of yalls Thriving community.

SWC2001

Advertisement

2. LawnMM

LawnMM Lurker
    None

Dec 11, 2011
    Denver Metro
    The forever root app works on .886 and .893 software, so yes, you can root after the ota. I actually rooted before the ota, on .886, updated, and maintained root through the update. I did use the 'forever' root option.

Can't answer most of the rest of your questions, I'm still new at it, however the same bat file that roots, will also unroot your phone.

swc2001 likes this.
  3. swc2001

swc2001 Android Expert
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Rubber Duck Salesman
    Chattanooga, TN
    Well Theres one down.... Thanks a bunch LawnMM :D

4. swc2001

swc2001 Android Expert
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Rubber Duck Salesman
    Chattanooga, TN
    Also is there a way to get into Clockwork Recovery with a certain button push sequence when the phone is turned off.... such as hold Vol. up + Power + Menu + Send?

5. Glennrz1

Glennrz1 Lurker
    None

Dec 16, 2011

Where can i find the root for the 5.5.893.xt875

6. Milady

Milady Lurker
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    DROID BIONIC running 5.5.893.XT875

So, I stupidly did the OTA before rooting (don't know what I was thinking) then attempted Pete's Root... it failed. Anyone know of a root for this now that I may have borked it?

OTA downgrading seems nil unless someone knows something I can do to correct then forever root through the upgrade.

New to this, but learning.

7. LawnMM

LawnMM Lurker
    None

Dec 11, 2011
    Denver Metro
  8. thefnshow66

thefnshow66 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    I saw in another forum that there is a new 1 click root method to be able to get the new OTA rooted. I tried this myself after losing root once I updated and it worked for me. Now a couple of things.

*This method isn't guaranteeing everybody that it'll work for them. Some are saying that the new 1 click method didn't work but the OP on the thread said there might be another way if the 1 click method doesn't work right away.

*Since it's on another websites forum, the only way I know how to download this method and try it for yourself is to sign up to their site. Anyways, here's the link to the thread. I hope this helps.

OTA to 5.5.893 and Lost Root?? Click here.. - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com