1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can you run apps with no signal/connection?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by bluebird48, Jul 24, 2011.

1. bluebird48

bluebird48 Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi

I see that a lot of apps (especially games) require full Internet access permission. I live in a rural area where I do not always get a good signal (or any signal at all). Is it possible to still use these apps/games offline with no signal/connection or do they require a constant connection so they can "phone home" every now and then?. In other words, if I were to completely close my carrier account and remove the SIM card, would these apps and games continue to work indefinitely?.

Note: Obviously multiplayer games and apps like Google Earth require a connection but I'm talking about apps that don't (or shouldn't) need one in order to function.

- Thanks, BJ

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Shouldn't have a problem, it will also get rid of the ads if you run it in airplane mode (that's usually what the "full internet access" permission is for).

3. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
    We put the phones on airplane mode a lot for when the kids play with them and never have an issue with the games.

4. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Even if you do this, your phone still has Wifi. You can always connect to the internet with Wifi, even with no SIM card.

As above though, most of the time the full internet access permission is for advertisements. Unless the developer has somehow blocked the app from running unless you can get the ads (I haven't seen this) the apps should still work fine.

5. bluebird48

bluebird48 Member
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Wow, thank you for all the replies!. That is very encouraging to know. Airplane mode...never thought of that but it does make sense. Still learning the ropes with this whole thing.

- BB