• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can you tether an Evo to a Linux box?

I haven't tried tethering via USB, but the WiFi hotspot works great. As a matter of fact, though I was skeptical of syncing contacts & calendar with Google, this is the best syncing device I've ever had. I set up a Google calendar and contact list in Evolution, moved over the contacts & appointments that I didn't mind being on the Google servers, and they appear on the phone automatically. If you change them on the phone, they eventually sync back to Evolution. It's brilliant.

Upvote 0
Yes it works very well.

Plug the Evo into your ubuntu box. On the Evo's popup, select Internet Sharing. Ubuntu will automatically configure an "usb0" and NetworkManager will connect to it. You now have USB tethering.

I tried this but without success. No /dev/usb0 showed up nor notice of any other new device from dmesg. (dmesg does notify that a disk drive has been set up when 'disk drive' is chosen from the evo popup.) The EVO gives the 'error code 67' message if Internet Sharing is chosen in the popup. Suggestions eagerly sollicted.

Upvote 0
Well in case anyone else tries looking for this information, I've managed to tether my ubuntu laptop (10.04) with the evo by using easy tether. Its fairly straight forward and the app contains all the directions you need to succeed. If it doesn't work for you try selecting help from the menu and you should be fine. Otherwise pm me and I'll try to help. No expert but sometimes it doesn't take one.

Upvote 0
The problems users are experiencing with the "error 67" et al is that as soon as you turn on USB Tethering on the phone, it kills any 4G or Mobile Network connection, and they will not reconnect properly as long as USB Tethering is connected. (A WiFi connection on the phone end, on the other hand will work fine, and your USB network device will be recognized on the Linux end as soon as you turn on USB Tethering.)

(This is if you do NOT have Hotspot enabled; presumably those who got it to work with 4G or Mobile Network pay for the Hotspot feature).

June Fabrics website says that they are working on a Linux version of PDANet (which traffics through the USB Debugging interface rather than USB Tethering).

Fortunately, I found a USB WiFi that works fine with Linux for cheap: the IOGear GWU523.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones