1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General can you tether on att?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stanw, Jan 7, 2013.

1. stanw

stanw Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    I'm using foxfi on my verizon note2 and my unlimited plan. I just read that the fcc passed a ruling preventing vzw from blocking tethering apps. What about att? Can you use foxfi on a att note2 with or without unlimited data?

Advertisement

2. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye
    None

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Travel and teaching for tech and automotive
    Riverside, CA
    In theory you can use FoxFi and it's extension (it is supposed to hide that you are tethering), but if AT&T catches it and they normally do, they will automatically switch you to a data plan that has it. Since the Unlimied plan is gone, and I needed to add 2 lines, I switched to the Mobile Share plan that includes tether for no extra charge, so it does not matter for me

stanw likes this.
  3. stanw

stanw Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    So just to make sure i understand, my friend has an unlimited data plan on att, if he downloads foxfi and starts tethering, then they could take his unlimited data away? Hes on a family plan all with unlimited data, any idea if this would affect the other users on the family plan?

Thanks.

4. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2012
    SoCal
    Foxfi is removed from the Play store for AT&T, but you could still download the apk file from Foxfi website directly. The app works but the proxy extension does not on my AT&T Note II. Without the proxy extension, AT&T could detect that you are tethering and could send your warning email about it. And if you keep on ignoring those emails, they will switch you from unlimited plan to one of the tethering plan (I think the 5Gb $50 one).

stanw likes this.
  5. stanw

stanw Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    What is a proxy extension?

Is there some other way around this for at&t note2 owners? This sounds like a huge advantage that I don't hear anyone talk about for Verizon vs. Att.

6. lcneed

None

Nov 12, 2012
    SoCal
    It is an addon for Foxfi that it is supposed to disguise your tethering traffic as coming from your phone instead of your laptop or pc. I couldn't get it work, and based on reading other note II forums, other users of AT&T Note II couldn't get the proxy to work either.

It is not really an AT&T or Verizon thing as both could side load the foxfi apk. And I think the proxy addon doesn't work on either one right now. I used about 100Mb of data on tethering so far this month and so far no warning email from AT&T yet even though I didn't use the proxy addon.

stanw likes this.
  7. fcbfan408

fcbfan408 Newbie
    None

Sep 26, 2012
    Male
    San Jose, CA
    But what is the advantage of the the unlimited plan if AT&T will throttle you down to a crawl if you go over a certain limit? I think I have read that after 2GB, you will get a warning and then if you keep using data at a fast pace, you will be throttled. Well, I guess with the unlimited plan they'll throttle you at some point but without incurring a charge.

8. lcneed

None

Nov 12, 2012
    SoCal
    It is 5Gb for AT&T 4G Device before throttle.

fcbfan408 likes this.
  9. stanw

stanw Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Since we're talking about data usage, curious, if I view a webpage that with graphics and html weigh 350kb does that equate to 350kb of usage? OR is data usage figured out some other way? If I watch a streaming Youtube video how is it figured out?

Thanks.

10. lcneed

None

Nov 12, 2012
    SoCal
    I don't think it cares what you are doing. It just count how many bytes transmitted and received by each app. It seems pretty accurate. I compare it against the Data Usage on my AT&T account and they matched up closely.