• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you unlock this phone?

VGPOP

Android Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2010
I am thinking about upgrading my phone to the new Galaxy S3 for Sprint. My current phone which is Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint) I want to give it to a friend, who uses, Walmart Mobile Family plan powered by T-Mobile.

Will I be able to unlock this phone and give it to my friend so she can use it with that plan?

Is it compatible?

I am not too familiar with unlock/lock phones.

And if it can be done, how much will it cost?

Any inputs, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I am thinking about upgrading my phone to the new Galaxy S3 for Sprint. My current phone which is Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint) I want to give it to a friend, who uses, Walmart Mobile Family plan powered by T-Mobile.

Will I be able to unlock this phone and give it to my friend so she can use it with that plan?

Is it compatible?

I am not too familiar with unlock/lock phones.

And if it can be done, how much will it cost?

Any inputs, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

No, the SGS2 E4GT is not compatible with the T-Mobile network and it doesn't matter if it's locked or unlocked.

Phones that work with Sprint generally will NOT work on the T-Mobile network because Sprint (along with Verizon) uses CDMA technology and T-Mobile (along with AT&T) uses GSM. You cannot use a CDMA phone on a GSM network. GSM phones need a SIM card; CDMA phones do not use a SIM card unless they are international phones, and the E4GT is not an international phone and has no SIM card slot.

Reactions: VGPOP
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones