1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Can you use Skype to call US from Canada?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by CharlesLewis, Feb 12, 2011.

1. CharlesLewis

CharlesLewis Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    We'll be visiting Canada in a couple of months. I know I can use my Droid X with Verizon up there, but the per minute roaming charge is about 70 cents. I've never used Skype, so I am a total newbie.

First, am I correct in thinking I could use a WiFi connection to call a US phone (receiver not using Skype) without turning on the radio (in other words, while in Airplane Mode)?

If so, can someone suggest a web link that would walk me through the process? I assume I will need to register with Skype first (would prefer a per minute charge, rather than subscription, since I won't need the service once we are back home) and am guessing I will need to get a number from them. I've played a bit with the Skype web site, but I'm hoping there is a link that might simplify the explanation.

Thanks much for any help you can provide.

Advertisement

2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    You can call Skype to Skype anywhere for free. Or you can set up an account and call landlines and mobiles. Instead of over 1.50 per min - it's something like 20 cents.
    We have it on 2 mobiles, and a couple of computers and call that way.
    I think Verizon and Skype have partnered and Verizon has the service. Ask your carrier.
    Z

CharlesLewis likes this.