1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Canada data charges after Rooting

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jg62, Apr 22, 2012.

1. jg62

jg62 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Clinton Twp, Mi.
    Hopefully this is the right forum for this so here goes. Rooted my phone (Evo 4g) in Jan. then took a trip from Michigan to Buffalo thru Canada in early February. Used my phones GPS the entire way (forgetting about roaming data charges) but somehow never received any charges for data roaming thru Canada (been 3 billing periods). Anyone else have experiences like this? Is this normal after rooting, or did I somehow just get lucky? (highly unlikely) Thanks.

Advertisement

2. APSoft

APSoft Newbie
    None

Feb 12, 2012
    Software Developer
    Vancouver, Canada
    How exactly did you use GPS on your trip?
    GPS itself does not require any data connection, Internet and roaming. It depends on the software used. If the navigation software contains all the maps on the device, it does not connect to Internet. Only if you use Google Maps and Navigation included in it, or other apps with online maps, you'll get data downloaded and will be charged for that.

3. jg62

jg62 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Clinton Twp, Mi.
    I actually did use Google Maps and Nav., but up to now no data charges. Not complaining, just kind of weird. Was not sure if rooting the phone would make a difference on being charged or not.