• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Canada Galaxy Nexus Thread (Updated - 12/06/11) - December 7th Early Sale

I can't wait 'til December! Too bad we don't get it sooner, but at least we have word from the carriers.

Which would be better between Virgin and Bell? With Virgin I could pay off the majority of the phone up front so the tab is manageable, right? I'm wary of Bell's disreputeable customer service (for 3 years to boot!). Any advice appreciated!

Upvote 0
Does Canada have a similar cell phone structure like the US?

Couple LTE carriers and a couple GSM carriers? I guess I could ask my cousins lol.

Canada has 6 primary providers:

Bell - CDMA, HSPA+, LTE (limited deployment thus far)
Telus - CDMA2000, HSPA+, (LTE planned)
Rogers - GSM, HSPA, LTE (limited deployment thus far)
WIND Mobile - UMTS HSPA/HSPA+ (eg: T-Mobile without the 2G)
Mobilicity - Same as WIND Mobile
Public Mobile - CDMA2000 PCS G (eg. useless as frak, will never get a decent phone)

The first three are essentially incumbents are held dominant hand on the market for the longest time. The latter three became near 2 years ago, give or take and are making some headway, but nothing too dramatic yet.

Upvote 0
Yesterday, I went to Bell and Virgin mobile and asked if they will sell galaxy nexus unlocked. The reply is big "NO", you have to get a plan with them. I found the virgin reps rude and start bragging like kids that they are the first to release the phone and that "no way" (with loud intimidating voice) that i could get it unlocked.

Anyways, I checked around and saw these blogs about Negri (US) and Expansys (CA) websites. I checked them and notice that Expansys is much cheaper at CAD$771.42 excluding tax and freight. Has anybody ordered from Expanys.ca? Do you think they can be trusted? I have not done business with them before.

Upvote 0
Yesterday, I went to Bell and Virgin mobile and asked if they will sell galaxy nexus unlocked. The reply is big "NO", you have to get a plan with them...

So that's a lie, sorta...

Just so we're on the same page, by unlocked we're talking about SIM unlocked meaning you can remove the Bell/Virgin SIM card, swap it for a Telus/Rogers/Wind/Mobilicity/any ISP that uses HSPA/AWS frequencies and it will work.

Yes, yes it will. Like all Google developer phones they only arrive SIM unlocked, just like the Nexus S and the Nexus One before it. This isn't even something the ISP has a say over. The phone arrives from Google/Samsung SIM unlocked and that's the end of that. Any suggestion to the contrary is pure ignorance so don't let that throw you off.

Now having said that, If you purchase your Galaxy Nexus directly from a Bell or Virgin Mobile Retail Store/Kiosk it is possible that they'll refuse to sell you the phone unless you sign up for a service plan with them right then and there otherwise they won't sell the phone to you.

Yep, it's possible they'll be dinks and operate in that fashion and not sell you a phone without a service plan.

So what can you do? you ask. Go to Best Buy Mobile or any other Non-Carrier retailer and just buy the handset and walk out. That's what I did with my Nexus S purchase and that's what I plan on doing with my Galaxy Nexus purchase.

Enjoy. :D

Upvote 0
Yea though no term/1yr/2yr no longer show up for me. Will need to verify that. Not to mention, while Virgin still retains their "no contract" option, you still need to buy activate 30 days (minimum of $50 in this case) to order to preorder it.

At any rate, it's nice to finally know a date. Though I personally might wait it out till the 32GB version. 16GB is nowhere near enough for my needs.

Upvote 0
I pre-ordered mine today at Best Buy! Was the first one of the day for the store, so I should be numero uno on the list when they arrive. Went with Virgin because I've heard OK things about them compared to the horror stories that make up Bell's customer service reputation.

Did they require you get at least 30 days (at least that was the only option with Virgin) with the carrier? i.e. $50 on top of the full price?

Upvote 0
Did they require you get at least 30 days (at least that was the only option with Virgin) with the carrier? i.e. $50 on top of the full price?

Nope, all I had to choose was Bell or Virgin and the guy said I can set up a plan when I get it or sooner. I need a new carrier anyway (been on a family plan for far too long) so I figure I'll give Virgin a chance, but I'll look into a 2 year plan or possibly paying off the majority of the cost on supertab if they allow that.

Upvote 0
Nope, all I had to choose was Bell or Virgin and the guy said I can set up a plan when I get it or sooner. I need a new carrier anyway (been on a family plan for far too long) so I figure I'll give Virgin a chance, but I'll look into a 2 year plan or possibly paying off the majority of the cost on supertab if they allow that.

Interesting. Word was that, well, at least Futureshop (owned by Best Buy now), required a contract be signed to a plan in order to place the preorder.

Hopefully there is also some word about 32GB model down the road.

Upvote 0
Accdg to Bell and Virgin Mobile represantatives, this phone can be purchased from them together with a plan, no way that you can get it from them unlocked even if you pay the full price.

Check evotronix.com, their price (unlocked) is cheaper than expansys.ca, if you want to get this phone unlocked.

Upvote 0
Just received an email from Bell.
Phone is set to drop in Canada on Dec 8th.

But because I am a new user, I can't post links. O well. You can find it yourself on the bell website I guess!

"Pre-order Galaxy Nexus from Google - the first superphone with Android 4.0."
"Available December 8 - only from Bell"

Cheers!

Upvote 0
So that's a lie, sorta...

Just so we're on the same page, by unlocked we're talking about SIM unlocked meaning you can remove the Bell/Virgin SIM card, swap it for a Telus/Rogers/Wind/Mobilicity/any ISP that uses HSPA/AWS frequencies and it will work.

Yes, yes it will. Like all Google developer phones they only arrive SIM unlocked, just like the Nexus S and the Nexus One before it. This isn't even something the ISP has a say over. The phone arrives from Google/Samsung SIM unlocked and that's the end of that. Any suggestion to the contrary is pure ignorance so don't let that throw you off.

Now having said that, If you purchase your Galaxy Nexus directly from a Bell or Virgin Mobile Retail Store/Kiosk it is possible that they'll refuse to sell you the phone unless you sign up for a service plan with them right then and there otherwise they won't sell the phone to you.

Yep, it's possible they'll be dinks and operate in that fashion and not sell you a phone without a service plan.

So what can you do? you ask. Go to Best Buy Mobile or any other Non-Carrier retailer and just buy the handset and walk out. That's what I did with my Nexus S purchase and that's what I plan on doing with my Galaxy Nexus purchase.

Enjoy. :D

Was in best buy too, asked them and they will not sell the phone to me unless i buy the plan too....their practice is to sell any hot phone months after (4-5 months) a carrier release the phone.... can't wait that long....

Upvote 0
Just received an email from Bell.
Phone is set to drop in Canada on Dec 8th.

But because I am a new user, I can't post links. O well. You can find it yourself on the bell website I guess!

"Pre-order Galaxy Nexus from Google - the first superphone with Android 4.0."
"Available December 8 - only from Bell"

Cheers!

Not sure what took Bell so long, Virgin sent their email out on the Monday (when they began pre-orders).

Upvote 0
Accdg to Bell and Virgin Mobile represantatives, this phone can be purchased from them together with a plan, no way that you can get it from them unlocked even if you pay the full price.

Check evotronix.com, their price (unlocked) is cheaper than expansys.ca, if you want to get this phone unlocked.

Stop saying "unlocked". Being forced to purchase a service plan with your Galaxy Nexus has nothing to do with whether or not the handset is SIM Unlocked.

And for the record all Nexus Phones, including the Galaxy Nexus, ARE SIM unlocked. (e.g you can drop in any HSPA/AWS provider's SIM card and it will work).

*** Small Update ***
After having asked around, Best Buy Mobile and all the regular retailers can't push Galaxy Nexus purchases through their billing system without the purchase of a Service Plan. That will most likely change after a month but initially you have to purchase a minimum 1/mo service plan to purchase the phone.

Again this has nothing to do with the phone being SIM unlocked.

Upvote 0
If you haven't already read them, the review by MobileSyrup is up:

Part 1: Hardware: Galaxy Nexus Review Part 1: Hardware Overview (Video) | MobileSyrup.com
Part 2: Software: Galaxy Nexus Review Part 2: Software overview and final thoughts | MobileSyrup.com

As well, I've posted some camcorder footage as well as a screen comparison with the LG Optimus 4G LTE, which also has a 720p screen:

1080p Camcorder Comparison: 1080p Video Samples from the Bell LG Optimus 4G LTE and the Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus - YouTube

720p Screen Comparison: 720p Screen Comparison Between the LG Optimus LTE and Samsung Galaxy Nexus - YouTube

Upvote 0

Evotronix is selling this phone in canada?
and about the price : 689 CAD$ or USD?

Upvote 0
As mentioned in the OP; the minimum you have to pay is $50 for a smartphone plan.

i emailed virgin and the rep said you can get talk and text plans with smartphones. they only subsidize $200 with a 3 yr talk and text plan as oppose to $500 on a 3 yr smartphone plan but that doesn't matter to us who want to buy outright.

the website doesn't allow you to select a talk and text plan with the galaxy nexus though. i've replied back, asking if i can get a talk and text plan with the gn. hopefully i can at least get in writing that it's possible and shove that in their faces if they try to force a smartphone plan at me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones