1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Canadair Regional Jet Weight and Balance?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tjreishus, Mar 1, 2011.

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Airline Pilot
    I have written a spreadsheet that calculates weight and balance for the CRJ200. I was wondering if anyone would be able to use the spreadsheet I created to make an app with it. I have posted a link to the spreadsheet that I created. It's pretty raw at this point. If you download it and want to mess around with it, I would create a master copy first, and play around with the copied version. I have not locked any cells so you can mess it up pretty easily. There are still a lot of changes that need to be made. Some numbers in there are wrong so don't spend too much time trying to create it yet. I first want to know if this can be done easily. I know someone created an app like this on IOS and most of the pilots with iphones purchased it for $5.00. I'm sure you could do the same with this. Currently we have just shy of 5000 pilots so I'm sure at least a few would buy it. Like I said I need to make some changes to this but if you take a look at the spreadsheet, the only two pages I need to be able to get to are the "data entry" and A1-D9 on the "pax and bags" sheets. The only fields that should allow for data entry are in yellow.
    I hope this link works. Here is the file

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5817937/200 Weight and balance.xls

Again, I would just like to know if someone would like to take this on as a project at this point. There is a lot of wrong data in there right now.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. tjreishus

tjreishus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Airline Pilot
    I had a question about the spreadsheet so I thought I would answer it for all to see in case others have the same question. First off, this spreadsheet is designed to quickly determine how many passengers and bags we can take on a flight. I'll set up a situation. We land at xyz airport and the gate agent comes down to say "were full, how many people and bags can we take". I then have to calculate our Max T.O. weight for the runway and conditions (not done in this app). Most of the time there is no restrictions and we can take everyone and all the bags they have. It's the small percent that creates major problems. With this spreadsheet, I can plug in the aircraft weight, fuel required for the flight and the max takeoff weight I calculated earlier and this will tell me everything I need to know. If you look at the spreadsheet, I enter the data in the yellow colored fields on the "data entry" sheet. To get the numbers I need to pass on to the agents I have to fill in the aircraft, Max T.O., fuel and jumpseat if there is one. If they know that there are kids I can put the estimated number of kids in the kids field. (kids are calculated at less weight, increasing the payload). At the bottom of the "data entry" sheet, there is a section I called Passenger and bags limits. The rest of the spreadsheet is just formulas to calculate what goes in here. I can then use this information to give to the gate agent. Example: I can take 50 people with minimum bags of 1250 and max bags of 1900. Or, on another day at another airport my answer might be we can only take 48 people with minimum bags of 1100 and max of 1300. Ocasionally, the gate agents will say, we have a lot of cargo (possibly military) that is a priority so we have to take 2700lbs of cargo. They ask "how many passenger can we take". For this situation I created the sheet called "pax and bags". In the upper left there is a list A4-A9 from 50 down to 45. I have never had to go below 45 people so I stopped there. With this table, I can quickly see how many passengers we can take with the baggage weight I was given. So the only part that I need to see in this spreadsheet is the Data entry sheet and the table on the pax and bags sheet. These calculations without this spreadsheet causes us to leave the gate late every time on the days that we are limited. Again, it's not very often that we have these limitations but when we do, it takes us 15 to 20 minutes to calculate what this can do in seconds. The difficult and time consuming part is going to be transferring all the formulas over. It took me 6 months to create this spreadsheet because I had NO idea how to even use excel when I took on the task. Anyone who knows excel really well can probably tell that in a second. I hope this helps to explain some things.