1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Cancel my order for the Incredible and wait for Moto X instead?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zk913, Jun 14, 2010.

1. dguy

dguy Android Expert

Hardware specifications are important on a smartphone for the same reason they are on a PC. More computing power means you can run more and more complicated applications and games than something not as robust. It also means you could load and run mainstream applications faster than on a device with lesser specifications. Less time waiting is always a good thing.

I don't think it being nearly twice as powerful can be considered a marginal difference. The Droid X is faster than the Incredible by a larger amount than the Incredible is faster than the Droid, which is huge.

jroc likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast

all of the android phones will be running the same software tho, so it just doesn't matter as much. Developers aren't going to create an app for 1 of the many android phones. Maybe it will future proof the droid x for a while longer but otherwise, it simply doesn't matter. PCs are PCs, we're talking about phones here. The circumstances are different. Games will probably launch faster, but not play smoother. And if u look, the nexus one with the snapdragon more than doubled(according to that ridiculous benchmark) when it was upgraded to 2.2.

This reminds me of the speed test for browsers. According to javascript test browsers like google chrome, opera, or safari are multiple times "faster" than firefox and ie but pages might only load a fraction of a second faster.

EDIT: Apparently the word around is that the droid shadow could be launching with android 2.2, not 2.1. So the nexus one with the snapdragon is faster than the motorola shadow with both running 2.2

3. IcedTC

IcedTC Member

I think you will be happy with either. If you want a bigger screen go for it...but I wouldn't really sweat it either way.

Look at the bright side...in another 6-8 months all of our phones will be obsolete!

The thing with technology is that you have to be happy with what you have when you get it. It's literally impossible to stay on top of it all.

Personally, I went from an EnV2 to the Incredible and I love it. 2.1 is FAST...when 2.2 comes out it will be even better. I'll stick it out from 2 years and be perfectly happy with that.

4. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Android Expert

Damnnnnnnn that's a huge phone!!!!!
    So this thing is taller than the EVO and just as wide?

5. jayjay1122

FWIW...every mention of this phone's processor I have seen show it also running 1ghz.

6. jayjay1122

Or just turning them into smaller netbooks! :D:D

7. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

Yes, but it is a faster and more efficient (better battery life) 1GHz processor.

8. jamor

jamor Android Expert

Yea the Incredible is perfect size for me. I cross my fingers that when I upgrade, they continue to make Incredible size phones, because I will NOT buy Shadow/Evo size phone. I'm a pocket guy.

You know what this reminds me of? The razor race.

First 1 blade, then 2, then 3, then 5?!?!

Man o Man Gillette. 5 blades - what are you trying to do - cut off my face? You couldn't pay me to put that thing anywhere near me!!

GrandMasterB and jayjay1122 like this.
  9. jayjay1122

Really? How many 1g snapdragons are out there?
    And yes I am really asking the question.

10. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

Its not a Snapdragon...its an OMAP processor in the X.

11. bigbloo

bigbloo Newbie

12. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth Well-Known Member

I take it that you know this from all of your hands on time with the device. I've seen far more credible reports that it runs at 750mhz than some guy (or girl) in an internet forum saying that it has a more efficient 1ghz processor.

13. jayjay1122

Hmmm...

Honestly not busting your chops (I know it seems that way ;)) but both of these links (for what they are worth) show it as a snapdragon:

More details leaked on Motorola Xtreme - AfterDawn

New pics of the Droid X emerge, looking like a major player (updated) | Android Central

Only this one mentions the OMAP Processor and its listed as 750MHz, not 1GHz!

[Exclusive] Motorola Droid Xtreme Hands-On Photos

14. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

jayjay1122 likes this.
  15. jayjay1122

16. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

I guess it won't be too long before we get official specs...
    Verizon Announcing Next Motorola Droid on June 23 (Phone Scoop)
    Hmmm...I didn't think it would come with Froyo!

17. jayjay1122

Yeah but it makes sense.
    It's supposed to roll out on the Incredible and EVO in a "few months" so I would not be surprised to see any new hardware releases from here on in not coming with it.

Besides the Moto units don't need to worry about SenseUI

18. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth Well-Known Member

So it either has the same processor as the drinc, or an ARMV7 Processor Rev 2 (V7i). In googleing the latter, I can find no proof that it is faster or more efficient. And these posts still come from guys on internet forums. Remember when Jake Day gave us root?

19. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

But they do need to worry about MotoBlur...

GrandMasterB likes this.
  20. jayjay1122

True, true and true...

21. dguy

dguy Android Expert

The circumstances are not different in the least. These devices are portable computers in every regard. They just so happen to have the ability to make phone calls. It's a bit silly to call them just "phones". The only reason the term smartphone is even used is because it's just a name that has stuck, but it's hardly accurate. There will never be a time when computers of any kind will be fast enough to be immune to the progress of software. No matter how advanced a processor gets, more advanced and more demanding(and consequently more productive) software will be created to take advantage of it.

There are already plenty of apps in the Android market that run slowly on lower end Android devices and smoothly on the Snapdragon devices. There will eventually be apps in the future that will run slowly on current modern devices, there's no way around it.

The benchmark I linked was done with the Motorola Droid X(then called Shadow) running on Android 2.1, not 2.2. It running 2.1 is almost as fast as a 2.2 Nexus One. Droid X running 2.2 will score twice as high as what you see in that benchmark.

22. roninld

roninld Member

23. GJJag

GJJag Lurker

I'm in the same boat eta on DInc is the 30th, i guess i will try the DInc untill the droid X is available on july 19th, not sure if i can handle that monster in my pocket,,lol

Exclusive: Motorola Droid X preview -- Engadget
    theres 55pics here, and it says "it undoubtedly has its 1GHz ARMv7 processor (presumably an OMAP3630)"

24. Dex

Dex Android Enthusiast

You should've just said it sucks.

I've had the unfortunate experience of playing with a phone with MotoBlur... and I'd never do it again. Stock Android is functional and has plenty of features. Sense ties everything together in a nice bow. MotoBlur jumbles everything up, but makes it super easy to post a tweet! If you're 16, a girl and just have to be in touch with every possible social network at the same time, THIS IS FOR YOU! If you aren't all, or any, of those things, this isn't going to be a good fit for you. Some of the things that MotoBlur does are almost obnoxious.

Sense may be a little overbearing in places, but it has nothing on MotoBlur. I know that they have said that it won't be MotoBlur, but something like Ninja or ShadowBlur, which are just different configurations of the same thing.

My girlfriend works at Verizon and I got to spend some time with the Devour. The phone sucks, but the OS makes it damn near painful to use. There is probably a walk-through or a forum that is very in-depth on it's benefits. Maybe there is something out there for an enthusiast, but I find it hard to believe.

I love my girlfriend's Droid. Very solid phone, but if they ever wanted to put MotoBlur on it, I'm sure it'd just turn it into a useless brick.

25. Ginge

Ginge Member

You'll never win playing that game, as there is always going to be a seemingly cooler gadget on the horizon. I prefer the Incredible, the Moto is just too big for my needs and I have really come to love HTC Sense. When I upgrade... probably about a year from now, it's going to be to another HTC Android phone... they are only going to get better.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews